This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can anyone recommend a battery replacement for this poor excuse of a cycling computer?

Ideally one that doesn't drain almost as fast off (properly powered off) as when on? When fully charged it's doing its job and survives quite happily for my typical 3-4h rides but for some reason it has this constant battery drain meaning I've grabbed what I think would be a fully charged unit to find it has virtually no power left. I don't understand this as it's a lithium ion battery which should only lose 1-2% of life per month. My device goes fully flat from full in under two weeks. The device is two years old and I ride about 3000 km per year.

• I have no recommendation for a replacement battery but among the three 820s I've had none ever discharged excessively when fully powered off.  It could be your battery or perhaps some other issue with the device.  You might contact Garmin Support and see what they say.

You are aware that when the 820 is charging and charging current is removed, it automatically switches on.  If, for example, it's being charged from a computer USB port and the computer shuts down turning off power to the port, the 820 will switch on. 

• I second your frustration. After the latest update, my Edge loses 20% of the power after 30 minutes of cycling. I have Battery Save Mode on, display light minimal, GPS only and phone connection/bluetooth off.

• I usually point out that what you're seeing is the battery level indication goes down 20% in 30 minutes.  What the battery level actually is may be different.  I suggest letting the unit run down until it turns off, charge it up, and then see how it behaves. Sometimes this will recalibrate the battery level indicator and make it more accurate.   If you are experiencing very short battery life.  It may be helpful to do a factory reset. 

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear – (Factory Reset) Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, Workouts.

1. Turn device off
    2. Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    3. Press and release the power button
    4. Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    5. Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
    6. The unit will restart and clear non-vol

Saving settings for before reset

Folder Name

Contains

Copy  contents of this folder to new unit folder:

Activities

Activities

Activities

Apps

Connect IQ apps

Copy prg files to Apps

Courses

Courses

NewFiles

HMD

Screen layouts for HMD

NewFiles

Locations

Saved locations

NewFiles

Records

Personal records

NewFiles

Segment_List

Leader board selection for segments

NewFiles

Segments

Segments

NewFiles

Settings

User profile and sensor pairings

NewFiles

Sports

Screen layouts

NewFiles

Summary

Activity summary from other devices

NewFiles

Totals

Activity totals

NewFiles

Workouts

Workouts

NewFiles

Multisport (Watches only)

Multisport settings

NewFiles

• Battery life exceeds 8hrs on these computers. I rode yesterday for 5 hours and had 50%+ remaining.

• It all depends what other devises you are using with the Garmin. I use a Wahoo TickR heart strap and a Varia twilight-radar. I don't get near eight hours. I get about 5.5 hours then it goes to battery save. By the time I finish at about six hours, I have 3% left.

• Actually, that battery save feature may be more beneficial than just saving battery life. It keeps me from continually looking at this dumb devise and enjoy the ride. 

• Battery life is completely dependent on the settings you are using during your ride. As for not during your rides, are you powering the Edge off or simply pressing the power button to put the Edge to 'sleep'? When not in use, I would recommend pressing and holding the power button and selecting 'Power Off'.

www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-83CA3524-0C2B-435C-BC4D-5FAC6E378659.html

• This has been posted in other threads, but you can find the battery replacement kit and a video on how to do it at the link below.  This company has kits for many different devices.  www.newpower99.com/.../garmin edge 820.htm

• Be advised the original 820 battery is rated 700 mAh.  The Newpower replacement is rated at 600 mAh.  If your original battery is dying, the 600 mAh would likely be an improvement, but I expect it would provide less run-time than a fresh 700 mAh battery.

• Hi Matthew, I fully power off the device. The battery just drains away. I don't actually have a problem with battery life when fully charged it's just I need to remember to charge the device the night before rather than putting it away fully charged and expecting any life in it when I go to use it next.