This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can anyone recommend a battery replacement for this poor excuse of a cycling computer?

Ideally one that doesn't drain almost as fast off (properly powered off) as when on? When fully charged it's doing its job and survives quite happily for my typical 3-4h rides but for some reason it has this constant battery drain meaning I've grabbed what I think would be a fully charged unit to find it has virtually no power left. I don't understand this as it's a lithium ion battery which should only lose 1-2% of life per month. My device goes fully flat from full in under two weeks. The device is two years old and I ride about 3000 km per year.

• This automatic on behavior is highly annoying.  Many times I've had a dead battery because of this.  I can't imagine how anyone could ever think this is proper behavior for a device.

• Odd. My 820 receives input from my Garmin HR strap and cadence sensors. Now that days are getting short, it communicates with my Garmin LED headlight. My brightness is auto, so maybe that has something to do with my unit's great battery life.

• Battery life is meant to be 15 hours, so I don't see 8 as being satisfactory, never mind great. But regardless, I would prefer that mine had 8 hours of battery life rather than the 5 it does have with minimal connections after a factory reset. I concede that it is around 2.5 years old so some degradation is to be expected, but not that much. And that is after being fully charged. I also get excessive drain while the thing is switched off (properly off) similar to the OP.

• As OP, I have Edge 820 for about 2 years. The battery life was always an issue with this unit due to constant use of GPS. Garmin rated 15 hours on fully charged battery. But on my long 100+ miles and 5-6 hours ride it's never happen. The battery save mode turns automatically after about 5 hours. And if temperature is colder the battery drains faster. When unit was new the battery life was little better. To fix this Garmin charging $110. I hate Garmin for releasing they products(I had/have many) prematurely and making us customers they guinea pigs.    

• I'm not saying the following is the right answer, but I carry a 125 gram external battery pack in my jersey pocket as backup for my phone and Garmin.  My phone is also on during rides.  When the temperature is in the low 40s or below, I mount the pack on my bike and plug it in to the micro USB port of the 820.  It will keep the 820 at 100% with the backlight on the whole time.  One downside is that the 820's temperature reading is then elevated higher than actual, I guess because of constant backlighting.  Unless you ride 5-6 hours non-stop, you can give your 820 battery a quick boost as rest stops.  I don't ride with it plugged in if there is a chance of rain or roads are wet.

• i do the same thing now as the battery is almost flat after 4 hours and no external sensors connected

• Others, including me, have experienced short battery life with software revs after 11.2.  You might try reverting to 11.2.  There is a new rev out just now, 12.3, but the release notes don't say anything about addressing battery life.  In the past, release notes haven't been totally forthcoming about all the changes made so it is possible 12.3 might be better wrt battery life.

• the new firmware 12,3 is unusuable if you use multiple ANT+ sensors, I cannot use my Quarq Dzero now just because this firmware update! WHYYY GARMIN WHYY???

• I did the update and see no differance, my battery only lasts a couple hours , not sure what to do to fix the battery issue

• Consider these in the the following order (and increasing cost)

1. Try reverting to 11.2

2. Install after market battery

3. Send to Garmin for a refurbished replacement