This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dear Garmin...thank you for sucking the joy out of a nice bike ride...again

Yesterday, my wife and I were on a nice bike ride. She rides with a 820. I ride with a 1030.

Halfway through the ride every time my wife came to a stop or hit a light bump in the road, her incident alert went off sending text messages and emails to her designated contacts (me). This freaked her out and she subsequently figured out how to stop it before it sent out the messages. We tried in vain to figure out how to disable it, and couldn't until we got home and navigated through all the myriad options on the Garmin itself as well as the Garmin Connect application. What an absolute horrid user experience both are. Please hire some UX designers who know what they are doing. This is just awful. DC Rainmaker was absolutely right to rant about the piss-poor software quality and lack of reasonable QA on your device software. I'm a software engineer, BTW, so I know a little bit about such things. I've been complaining about it for years, and rightly so.

Anyway, why the *** is my wife's 820 sending off incident alarms when the parameters for that aren't even close to being met. Not to mention, this is a really stupid safety issue. What if I'm at work while my wife rides her bike. WTF am I supposed to think? If I seem like I'm mad, *** yeah, I am, and rightly so. This should not happen, ever. You just killed a safety feature. That's idiotic.

Thanks for sucking the joy out of cycling.

• Not to try to be a smart A or any disrespect, but if you find incident alert stupid or unnecessary, it can be turned off.  Mine hasn’t been on for 3 years and has never been a problem. 

• The computer clearly shows how to acknowledge the incident alert. It's not brain surgery.

• Thank you.I am gratified to know you completely missed my point. Apparently, you are not the master of brain surgery I am looking for. LOL.

BTW: Garmin UX sucks. I am not alone in this opinion.

• I figured how to cancel the alert in 3 seconds (and you're calling me names). Genius.

• You're a genius! I will bow to your greatness in your presence. I promise.

• I believe most find the incident alarm feature on the 820 to be useless due to too many false alarms and not alarming when it should.  This has been the case since I first got an 820 over 3 years ago.  Even if these issues were fixed, it would be hamstrung by the unreliable bluetooth connection to the phone, which likewise has been a problem all along.  I removed emergency contacts and turned off the feature. Livetrack has been unreliable as well.  We use other tracking apps on my phone if I my wife or I want to follow the other.

• Yes it can. Unless more bugs... The last week something happened and now it keeps getting re-enabled every time I sync that thing via garmin express... So I have a new pre-ride routine now where I have to drill down thru like 5 sub menus to get to the option to disable it before every ride.