This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigation is hopeless

I have lots of experience with 305/500/800/1000........but this 830 is making me ^%^&#(#). 

The roundtrip planer insists on taking me onto crazy busy (major) hwy's. When i avoid them mid ride it just goes into "tilt" mode and i'll eventually just quit the route. If i enter "back to start" via direct route the same thing happens..........the unit takes me way out of my way ! ! which wouldn't be so bad if it was quiet cycling roads. It most times takes me in opposite direction and onto busy/dangerous roads. I live just outside of a major city where there is tons of cycling traffic as most people ride in this area so would expect the popularity routing to find this easy. NOPE. 

Same goes for when enter and address into Navigation. Wants to use roads that nobody cycles on - if i avoid these roads the recalc does the same as above. Heads in wrong direction and on horribly busy roads.....or endless U-Turns to return on same roads.

I've been thru all the setting 10 times......popularity routes on and off. Deselected "major roads" This navigation engine is horrific / or i'm missing something. It's certainly not intelligent. 

Don't get me started on the trail forks ! ! - this is what i bought it for and it's useless. 

Appreciate anyones thoughts. 

• I have never found using an 820 to create routing to be useful.  I create courses before a ride using one of several sites, most often RideWithGPS, and download them to the Edge.  I reference other sites when doing so, such as MTB Project, Trailforks, Open Street Map, Google street view, etc.   There are also phone apps where you can use the much larger and higher resolution screen to create routes and download them the Edge. 

• Use it for emergencies and and know that you probably will be taken off course to some out of the way route if you use it, so take it with a grain of salt. Your intuition is a better compass most of the time.