This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disappearing course points/waypoints

I have a route created on Garmin Connect with 93.2Km (see https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/25133309). I marked 13 waypoints along the route to mark relevant reference places, summits, etc. While this detail is irrelevant, my waypoints are at about Km 2, 8, 16, 18, 25, 27, 35, 38, 43, 46, 59, 64, 68. This is mostly a road course.

Since I know pretty well the area, I just want follow the course and I do not want Turn By Turn navigation, so it is switched off, as well as automatic recalculation. But I want to have an accurate "distance to the end" and "distance to the next course point".

When I load the course at my departure point, I go to the course point screen and I see the 13 course point clearly listed. And when I start the course, the distance to next course points displays accurately the (decreasing) distance to the first point, about 2Km away. However, a few hundred meters later, the distance to the next course point jumped to course point at 25Km. I go to the course point screen and the first 4 course points disappeared. A few kilometers later, without any apparent reason, the next course point is already at Km 43, and well before 20Km are made the "next course point" was pointing to the course end at Km 93.2. Note that I never went off course, neither I never got a "off course" warning. Since I am cycling at reasonable speed, I am not sure when the waypoints disappear, but I noticed that, in some cases, the "distance to end" flashed (went blank by a few tenths of a second), but I am not sure if this coincided with the "disappearing" waypoints.

While I am listing a very specific example, in fact the same happened to me all times that I used the 820 in the last few months. I never was able to have the course points working, which are a very relevant feature to me.

I am quite frustrated, since this mode was my main use of my edge units. I used this feature without any problems with the 800, Touring plus and even the 820, at least up to firmware 3.2. I am not sure when this feature stoped working, since I was almost off cycling from November 2016 to April 2018 for medical reasons, so I skipped several firmware versions. But I have reasons to believe that it was still working on version 9.0.

Any hint regarding how to solve this issue would be welcome. Since it may be a configuration problem, I list my relevant settings below. Am I forgetting anything relevant? Thanks in advance.

Navigation > Courses > Saved Courses > Turn Guidance -> OFF

Navigation > Courses > Saved Courses > Off Course Warning -> ON

Settings > Activity Profiles > Train (the one I use) -> Navigation -> Routing Mode -> Mountain Biking

Settings > Activity Profiles > Train (the one I use) -> Navigation -> Calculation Method -> Minimize Distance

Settings > Activity Profiles > Train (the one I use) -> Navigation -> Avoidance Setup -> (all off)

Settings > Activity Profiles > Train (the one I use) -> Navigation -> Lock on road -> OFF

Settings > Activity Profiles > Train (the one I use) -> Navigation -> Recalculation -> OFF

• Thank you. No, this is not a GPS fix problem. I never start the ride without a proper GPS fix and the whole run is recorded and displayed accurately. The overall distance is precise within a few hundred meters (over 70Km-100Km courses) and Strava segments are fully identified. I get "off course" warnings only when I am off course or I pass under a bridge or tunnel. The location is also properly aligned with local maps (it is true that I do not use map based  routing, but they are there). I believe the problem is the algorithm used to align the location with the overall path, and that it happens when I (shortly)  loose the GPS fix or I go off course for a few hundred meters and return to the course ahead. BTW, my courses are usually full loops without path superpositions or crossings that could generate ambiguous "next waypoint" information. And most of these issue appear on courses I have used for several years on the Edge 800 and Edge Touring without any problem.

• Send me a private message with your email address and I will get you try some additional things.

• Same problem here with my 530. Did a 100 mile sportive today and I'd put all the feed stations in as course points. During the ride it briefly got confused and thought I'd gone off course. After this, it lost all my course points. Not very useful!

Exact same thing happened to my wife's 530

• Hi,

Did you manage to find a solution concerning the coursepoints ? I have the feeling that since the device recalcuates the road it erases all the coursepoints and replaces them with it's route.