This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No navigation messages

I've tried searching for this but couldn't find an existing thread, though it's an awkward search to articulate.  Hoping someone else has resolved this issue.

when following a course, if I change page from the map view to one of my activity pages, when coming up to a turn, I understand that three things should happen:

1) an auditory alert

2) a dialogue box appears at the top of the screen

3) in the dialogue box, details of your next navigation instruction (e.g. Turn left)

On my unit, step 1 and 2 happen, but not 3.  The dialogue box is blank.

I have another issue which is surely related.  When on the navigation screen, should an alert come in from my phone (e.g a text message), the same happens.  A dialogue box appears but no text.

Thanks for any help you are able to give.

• Not sure if I understand your issue, or whether it's related to the file format & settings you've created your course with, but this is what works for me regardless of which view I'm currently on, and gives me an audible beep and pops up the turn guidance screen;

Create your course using your preferred software. I use RWGPS. I always export the course as a .TCX track.

On my edge 820 I do the following (not every time, it just needs setting once); 

go to activity settings, then navigation, then navigation prompts, then select map.

• Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I don't think it's in this realm, though I could be wrong.  I create the course using Garmin Connect.  The course seems to be working just fine.  The issue is the pop-up banners.  In the image below, at the top of the screen, a banner has appeared telling the user to turn left in 0.4miles onto Deptford Lane.  On my device, the banner appears, but there are no instructions.  It's completely blank.   You might think that's not much of a problem, just look at the map, but the scale of the map, coupled with the ribbon obstructing the top 1/3 has seen me get to a junction only to find I'm in the wrong lane and have to stop and wait.  

• It's not related to the file format. 

Gpx, tcx, or fit all work the same. The Garmin converts them all to fit anyway.

All the Garmin uses for turn guidance is the list of track points. The big white arrows are created (calculated) by the device (they don't come from the file).

Every route planner can create these sufficiently-well.

• If you press the text (what blank for you), you will see a list of turns calculated by the unit.

Does the text show up there?

You might try resetting the device.

• After reading your suggestion I have tried this.  When I click on the blank dialogue banner, it does indeed open up a list of turns.  1 of the 5 had content, the others were blank.