This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bluetooth Connectivity/Sync Issues Feedback

We realize how important Bluetooth Connection is to our customers and how frustrating it can be when there are issues with it. If you are experiencing these issues with Bluetooth Syncing/Connection, we would like the following information to help understand the issue.

• What phone are you using?
  • Was the Connect app open to the foreground, minimized (running in the background) or closed when the sync didn't completed? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070
  • Did you try prompting a sync? If so, did that work?
  • Did the activity/data sync to the Garmin Connect app? If not, what steps did you take to get the data to sync?
  • Do you have any other Bluetooth devices actively paired with the Edge during the syncing process?
    1. Nokia 8 with Android Pie 
    2. GC running as a background service i.e. not open but must be running as it has a successful connection to my FR230
    3. Eventually, yes. Sometimes opening the GC app causes the BT connection to establish (after which a sync has to be manually initiated), sometimes the connection has to be established by removing the pairing and then repairing.
    4. See 3
    5. Yes - my Forerunner 230.

Note that, without manual intervention as above, the 820 BT status just says Searching. 

This used to just work. I hope you can fix this and restore the previous level of reliability. It is seriously frustrating when regression is introduced with firmware updates, and erodes confidence in the Garmin brand. 

• - Samsung Galaxy 10+

- GC has to be open, with GPS activated on the smartphone (why ?...)

- sometimes the sync is automatic when I save the ride on the Edge 820, sometimes I need to sync from GC to get it downloaded

- yes

- yes : sensors (speed, cadence, heart monitor) and lights bontrager IO RT and Flare RT

• 1. Nokia 8 with Android 9

2. Both → in my case, there seems to be no difference between running GC in foreground or background.

3. No.

4. No, it syncs only via Wlan or via USB.

5. My Fenix 5, which runs flawlessly with Bluetooth from the beginning.

Please Garmin, fix this issue as soon as possible!

• 1. Iphone 7

2. The Connect up was open in the foreground.

3. Yes it did work.

4. I did and it worked - activity appeared in Garmin Connect but hasn't uploaded to Strava.  Connect APP is synced to Strava.

5. No

Ive had intermittent sync issues for 6-8 months now.  I am seriously considering moving to Wahoo if this is not resolved soon.

• Here is my report:

1. Already tried three phones: OnePlus 3T, Nexus 5, Xiaomi mi 9T

2. Tried many things and GC has all phone safe permissions

3. Yes but it simply doesn't work and can't find my Edge

4. I have to sync with Garmin Express on my laptop

5. I only use my phone paired with Edge

• Problem - Can't get Galaxy Note8 to pair via bluetooth with Garmin 820.  I've tried deleting both devices and repairing, deleting the Connect app and re-installing.  Sometimes it will eventually pair but seems to unpair shortly after.  This has only been a problem the past couple of months.

1. Galaxy Note8 

2. I've tried running Connect in the background and with Connect open.  

3. I've tried prompting a sync and it did not work

4. I haven't had any problems getting my activity to sync with the phone app after a ride. 

5. I have a Garmin heart rate monitor and a Garmin Cadence sensor paired with the Edge 820 and they seem to pair fine.  I also have a Garmin Fenix 3HR that pairs with the Garmin Connect app on the Galaxy Note8 with no problems.   

• Correction to the above on point 5 - No, I have no other BT devices connected to my Edge,

The answer I gave originally was with respect to devices paired with my phone. Sorry for any confusion.

Still waiting eagerly for a fix for this very annoying issue!

• S10+

Minimized

No 

No

Yes (fenix 5x)

• Apple iPhone 8

GC app open, minimized

Yes tried prompting a sync, it appeared to be syncing, but gave up halfway

NO

Garmin heart rate monitor

• 1. Sony experia zx1 / Sony experia zx2 / Before that Samsung galaxy S4 mini and Samsung A3 

2. When minimized it almost never connects (10%). When running i foreground it mostly connects (90%).
    3. Sometimes I have reboot phone/edge until it succeedes
    4. When connected I always get data uploaded. Sometimes I sync from phone other times I select upload when viewing an activity.
    5. No.  

I seldom get connected to the phone for a full hour. The edge writes "Phone disconnected".
    If I open GC the phone is mostly reconnected.

I have an 820 Explore, which I used for a year connected to S4 mini. (It worked as above)
    In May i bourght an edge 1030. It worked very bad together with the S4.
    So I bourght a zx1 and connected it to 1030 (It worked as above).
    The 820 explore was until recently connected to Samsung A3, now it is connected to zx2. (Both worked as above)

4 days ago I upgraded the edge 1030 to beta 7.85 and it works like a charm.
    Seconds after the device is started, it connects to my phone. I have to do nothing.
    Please, make the same changes to the firmware for my 820 explore

Edit: Unfortunately when i rode yesterday, everything was back to normal. Unable to connect until I opened GC on the phone, and lost the connection as I was riding :-(

Regards,
    Kristian.