This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 810 turns off after 5 seconds and isn't recognised by computer. please help.

I have just started experiencing this problem and so far haven't been able to find a solution. it worked fine two days ago and earlier today when I replaced the batteries in my speed and cadence sensor. it turned on fine and found the sensors in seconds. I turned it off and then half an hour later when I needed it I found it would only stay on for 5 seconds before turning it's self off. my computer doesn't show it connected so I can't do anything with it. someone please help. I have also had several messages saying the memory is full when it isn't. also the device won't turn off when plugged in to show the charge screen, even though it was on 96%. when plugged in the device also won't load beyond the start up page with the garmin logo, it won't load maps or go any further.

• Try forcing it into mass storage mode.

Once mounted to the computer look in the Garmin\NewFiles folder. Delete anything that might be there. Disconnect from the PC and see if it starts.

Force to Mass Storage -
    Turn unit off. Hold the lap/reset button while plugging the unit into the USB. Continue holding the lap/reset for 30 seconds and the unit should go to mass storage.

• The computer doesn't even recognise it, it's as if it's not even plugged in.

• Nothing I have done will put the device in to mass storage mode.

• Maybe try a different cable.

You try doing a reset, but this wipe your settings.

Prompted non-Vol Clear - Clears NV and deletes all default FIT files and any files in the NewFiles folder. This will not delete Activities, Courses, or Workouts.

1. Turn device off
      2. Press and hold upper-left corner of the touch window
      3. While pressing touch screen, press and release the power key to turn on the unit

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear -
    Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, and Workouts.

1. Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
      2. Press and release the power button
      3. Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
      4. Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
      5. The unit will restart and clear nonvol
  • The prompted non voi doesn't work, and the non prompted non voi just results in a blank screen. the cable is the same one it came with and works fine. I had to reset it twice in the first week I bought it because of problems. I only used it for two 30 mile rides and it told me the memory was full. I certainly won't be buying anything else from garmin.

• I now have six white lies across the screen that seem to be getting bigger. any ideas?

• Exactly the same issue with my device.  It is out of warranty now but honestly really well looked after and has been used for less than 20 rides.  Had the same memory full indication although there were 8 rides saved - I deleted those and on the next ride the same message came up after 2 miles I had to shut the unit off as it stalled and it’s never been able to be turned on since.  Spoke to garmin to see what they suggested or could do, none of the re settings suggested worked so no getting passed the 5 second shut off.  The outcome was the offer of a 30% discount on a new garmin device, which I don’t think I will be taking up and I’ll be looking for a different manufacturer 

• Just wanted to say that this post helped resolve my issue with the 810.  The unit would shut off as soon as it is powered on and programs loaded.  Switching it to mass storage mode, then doing a mass clean up of files on the unit somehow resolved the internal error or potential storage issue with the unit.  All good and saved me from having to purchase another unit for no good reason.  Thanks!

• Hi there,its working until Sunday when he has deid I've been trying many things ( today is Thursday). On Sunday I'll go out and if you won't hear nothing from me you should its working. Thans to everyone here