This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

820 White Screen

When I turn on my 820, the screen turns white and stays white. Can't see anything but the computer will make the normal sounds. Has anyone experienced this? Can't do a full resent since I can't see anything on the screen. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Try the reset I just stumbled upon and see if it helps... just keep the power button pressed until it turns off, it'll take at least 10 seconds (it wants to send emergency notice somewhere at five seconds, just keep it pressed....)

www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-46A06A7C-1F46-4DBA-B010-DAD7BA6BE59E.html

• Same thing has happened to my 820 this week.

Reset doesn't help.

It looks like a screen specific issue, rather than a general failure of the device.  If I hook it up to my laptop, I can do all the usual stuff - I can see it in Windows Explorer, and I can apply updates via Garmin Express.

Unfortunately have not been able to find a fix for the white screen.  Reported it to Garmin Support and awaiting an answer.  However, I'm fully expecting them to say it's not fixable (or fixable but at a stupid price).

• Feedback from Garmin support is that the device needs to be replaced.  Mine is out of warranty. Garmin are offering a replacement for £92, which presumably will be a refurbished device not a new one.

• FWIW: Over the years I've gotten a number of "refurbished" Edge units after having an issue or breaking mine.  I got a refurb 820 1.5  years ago after dropping mine and breaking the screen.  They have all been indistinguishable from new in appearance, operation, battery life, etc.. 

• Hi Martin, sorry I know this is 10months old, however, I have the exact problem that you had but with a 520 plus, did you get a replacement?

• Garmin wouldn't even look at mine with me paying them money.  As my 820 also had seriously poor battery performance (lasted only about 3 hours) I decided to scrap the 820 and get a new 830.  I tried to get Garmin to do a part exchange or give me a discount on a new 830 but they weren't willing.

• Upps, I voted above inadvertently.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that my Garmin Edge 520 Plus also went to a white screen, after 2yr and 1 month of usage (the warranty is 1 yr). I contacted Garmin Iberia and sent them the device, and they immediately sent me back a new one, at no cost.

So, 5 stars to their consumer service support

• Mine white screened and nothing would fix it. I disassembled it and removed the battery and now it works great,  several days and power cycles and still works.  Many faulty phones I've had do the exact same thing,  removing power seems to do the trick.