This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Auto power on and power off issues

Ever since adopting the Garmin Edge 820 I've encountered this issue that I've been unable to resolve.

The Edge 820 turns on automatically when connected to power, which is especially annoying if its paired with Bontrager Flare RT lights because they also turn on automatically.

The biggest issue is that it also turns on when disconnected from power, which requires user to wait up to 15 seconds for the unit to boot and then power off the unit so the battery doesn't die.

So, I spend most of my time interfacing with the Garmin Edge 820 powering it on and off and disabled the Bontrager Flare integration all together. Also, if you're not paying attention you may find yourself diligently charging your Edge and then finding the battery dead when you go to ride.

I've contacted Garmin about this with no good solutions.

I don't recall this being an issue with previous Garmin Edge models and this issue doesn't occur on the Wahoo Elememnt Bolt.

Garmin - please make this functionality configurable. ie: provide an option to disable the automatic power on feature when connecting and disconnecting from power.

If I'm missing something here, please share your advice.

Thanks!
  • Yes it is a very much a time wasting feature. The Unit turn on itself when charging, stay on with no activity.

I don’t want it stay plugged so I have a 4 hours timer to charge all the rechargeables, but some time, the 520+ the edge is the only one that is not charge (yes I even make sure that it is off because it is super annoying to ride without the computer)  

When it is not connected to the power, it does not have power issue. 

Please fix the connecting/disconnecting auto on feature. Add an option or off by default. 

• I hate it too, just now happened to me when I'm starting a bikepacking trip. I charged it fully but noticed the battery is completely empty because it stayed on after charging. Ggrrrrrr!!!

• Anyone know if this has been sorted yet! Mad to think such a simple thing is still happening. Most annoying when you plug it out and forget it stays on so the charge was worthless a few hours later!

• Agreed. As others have noted, this is supper annoying.

• Very annoying. Just lost a ride again. Give us an option on this Garmin!

• Yep, some of the worst user experience I can think of. I'm charging it, not using it.. I'm also likely indoors. When I unplug it I've just charged it, it auto switches on which nobody expects, next time you go to use it it's flat again. Design should support the intent, not try and guess what youight want to do.

• anyone found a solution I tune it off plug it in to a wall outlet only to come back find it on and at best 70% power.

• Normally, when it reaches full charge plugged into a USB wall adapter, the unit switches on but uses power form the wall adapter. so remains at 100%.  The issues is if you use a computer's USB port to charge the 830 and the computer shuts off.  The 820 will turn on and then start depleting its battery. 

So, if plugged into a wall adapter, you should be fine as long as you remember to turn the 820 off when you unplug it.   If that's not working, something else is wrong.

• Agree. Massively annoying. I've contacted Garmin but not holding out much hope. If they were bothered they would have fixed this by now.