This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin and Shimano DI2 keep loosing connection.

Recently upgraded my 520 to and 820 now randomly while I’m riding my Garmin 820 and my DI2 will lose connection then reconnect, sometime it will do it 4-5 times in a row within a minute, other times it will only do it once in a whole 3 hour ride.

Anyone else had this issue, any suggestions?

thanks

Steve.
  • Yes, I have had your problem. The 11.0 update seem to solve the problem permanently if you recently obtained your 820, I would wonder if it was running the latest application. Same goes for the dfly unit. Prior to that I deleted my Di2 sensor (Dfly) and re added it. This also worked well.
  • I have been experiencing the same problem. I am running v11.00 on my Edge 820, and have removed and re-added my DI2 sensor from my 820, yet the problem persists. Anybody have any ideas?
  • Since 11.00, Di2 disconnections every 5 minutes have been driving me nuts too,
    I reverted to the previous firmware and everything seemed to work fine.
    I gave the 11.01 beta a try and boom, the problem was back.

What solved this was to remove all sensors, reboot, detect all devices once again, BUT above all to use the generic detection and not the Di2 detection.
    Not using the Di2 detection and using the generic one seems to be the most important part of the process.
    While at home, it kept disconnecting because of the wifi sync, but once I started an activity, wifi automatically turned off and everything was fine.
    Also, I stopped using bluetooth connection to my phone but it doesn't appear to affect ant+ stability.
    Last weekend, I rode my bike more than 10 hours and my sensors disconnected only twice.

Antoine
  • I  was having the same Di2 problems.  I deleted the dfly sensor as you did and used the generic sensor detection also. It took a while for the dfly to register while constantly shifting the front shifter back and forth without turning the cranks but once it did detect the dfly everything seemed to be fixed. 40 mile ride today and the Di2 never dropped off line. Thanks for the post regarding the generic sensor detection. 

• I have been having the same problem with my Di2 set up disappearing after about 5 minutes AND new Bontrager Ion lights randomly doing there own thing and turning off mid-ride - I have installed the new 11.20 firmware and will delete all the sensors and reinstall - I hope that fixes things as it VERY annoying.

• this worked for me - thank you

My Di2 was playing up but using the generic connection seems to be the vital step

• I am having this issue with my Garmin 1030. Dfly is mounted inside the handlebar.

• What is generic detection?

• Dfly works by radio waves (RF), which can't go through conductive materials.  If the bars are aluminum, or conductive CF, the connection is limited to the RF that can leak out through the ends/holes in the bars or be conducted outside via surface waves on the wires.  I'd try it outside of the bars.