This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Trying to connect my 820 with a usb cable and with a Mac

I cannot get the plot. Sometimes, I can connect my 820 or 520 plus. Rarely.
I'm not sure it is a problem with the Mac, but this should be easy.

First, as I have a wonderful device with bluetooth and wi-fi, I'd like to know why I'm trying to connect with a cable. Can you confirm it is the only way to upload a training plan or to upload a route?
Second, if I have to connect with a cable. What are the steps with a Mac? I tried many ways, like this:
- Restart the device
- Restart the Mac
- Put the cable in place

The device is never shown in the finder or in the garmin express.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot as the device is great for the rest!!
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    Try holding "lap" button on Garmin when plugging in to Mac, it should enter USB mass storage mode that way.
    You can upload a route without cable, either by Garmin Connect Mobile app or via Strava Routes IQ app on Garmin device.
  • Does your cable have GARMIN printed on it?
  • To amplify on TrippyZ's question, some cables don't work for data transfer between an Edge and a computer. The are usually, "charge only" cables. It's best to use the one that came with the Edge but lacking that, try several to see if it's the cable that's causing issues.
  • Thanks khodak, holding the lap button does it form me. Not always but most of the time.
    If you could elaborate on the wireless route transfer that would be helpful. 

• I've found the solution to my problem with the Garmin 820.  It has to do with allowing Full Disk Access to the Garmin Express App. Go into your System Preferences on your Mac and under "Security & Privacy", then "Privacy".  Find Full Disk Access and hit the +.  It'll bring up your finder.  Go into your Applications file and select Garmin Express.

• I had this issue with a newer Mac. I tried it all. Then I tried a more heavy duty USB cable and it worked fine. Garmin also sells a USB cable that will work. Make sure to try this FIRST, vs all the other stuff. Good luck!