This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fix for Firmware 9.0 battery drain

After installing the firmware 9.0 the battery lasts only 3,5 hours. No wifi, BT activated and GPS mode only.
The routes I use to do are between 3 and 5 hours.
With 8.80 version and with these settings, the battery duration was >10h.

Any suggestion? Anyone with the same problem?
  • Same issue. It's extremely frustrating. My issues actually started with the previous firmware and became worse with 9.0. Bluetooth connectivity has also been a major issues with 9.0.

Garmin is starting to look like Apple with their battery draining updates.
  • Same issue. It's extremely frustrating. My issues actually started with the previous firmware and became worse with 9.0. Bluetooth connectivity has also been a major issues with 9.0.

Garmin is starting to look like Apple with their battery draining updates.

Garmin Killer update;)
  • Same behavior on my device with FW 9.0. After about 4 hours the edge enters the power saving mode since the battery is almost empty. With FW 8.8 the runtime was about 8 hours.
    Very disappointing. Quality control is really a mess.

Cheers,
    Bernd
  • Same here. 3 hour ride and I have >40% battery left.
  • Since firmware 9.0 my Garmin Edge 820 has the following false behaviour:
    - I set the brightness of the screen on for instance 20%
    - I shut the Garmin totally off.
    - I turn the Garmin on and then the brightness level is not 20 % any-more:
    sometimes it is 100% and another time it is 50%.
    If you did not notice this then your Garmin would battery drain because of the higher brightness.

Has anyone noticed this behaviour also?
  • I finally realized that after the update the backlight was set to always on. I change it to automatic and yesterday after 2 hours ride, I had 85% of battery!!!!
  • Did anyone try FW 9.10 and compared battery life to 9.0?
  • i did update to 9.1 phone still syncs.
  • Suffering same battery issue after my first ride with FW 9.0: less than two hours on the road burned through 56% of my battery capacity. Used to be able to ride 10-12 hours and still have battery left, even with GPS and Bluetooth enabled.

Was going through various settings and noticed that my "Backlight" was set to always on. I've reset to 30 seconds. To be honest, I don't remember the pre-update setting.

I'm leaving "Brightness" set to auto, which is where I had it before. Will be keeping an eye on this thread...
  • Update: 2+ hr ride today, with GPS and BT enabled. Battery usage was only 22% during that time, so the backlight did play a role at least for me.

YMMV.