This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

820 Battery life on cold days & in general.

I've had my 820 for ~14 months. Recently, battery life has been bad & getting worse, especially in the cold. This past weekend I went for a two-hour ride when the temp was ~16-20 degrees. My battery was at 100% when I started, but at 10% when I finished. I had a Varia radar tail light, ANT+ speed/cadence, ANT+ HRM and Live Track (I normally have ANT+ power meter pedals, but no this day). I use smart recording & have GLONASS off (that's recent, I had always used GLONASS & GPS along with 1-second recording).

When the 820 was new, the battery would last all day. A few months ago, it started getting worse. Now, it's really bad, especially on cold days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • Mine's gone down the pan over the winter - this spring i'm getting 3 hours max out of the unit, where I was getting 6-7 hours with maps and navigation previously. Garmin support predictably generic, suggesting the usual Factory Reset and 'turn off all options'. Somewhat overlooks the fact that this unit functioned as required fine for 18 months, then suddenly deteriorated to the point it is currently useless to me. Hardly value for money for a £350 investment...
  • Got the same issues as described: 3 hours into a ride with Nav, power meter, speed sensor and heart rate before I got the warning that I had only 10% battery left. Temperature was 5C. Finished the ride in battery save mode. At the end I checked the battery and it was at 5%. Got inside, warmed myself before charging the Garmin 2 hours later. When I plugged it, I noticed that the battery was at 45%. So it seems that low temperature affects the battery status.

A few days later, about same temperature, same low battery warning. I did not switch to battery save mode. I left the unit running outside even after I finished riding. I had a full 3.5 hours of recording after reaching the 10% level before the battery completely drained and the unit shut off. Another indication that the low temperature confuses the battery status.

I have my Edge 820 since 2 years now. I did not ride in the cold the first years so I can't comment wether it is a new issue or if it has always been like this.
  • Got the same issues as described: 3 hours into a ride with Nav, power meter, speed sensor and heart rate before I got the warning that I had only 10% battery left. Temperature was 5C. Finished the ride in battery save mode. At the end I checked the battery and it was at 5%. Got inside, warmed myself before charging the Garmin 2 hours later. When I plugged it, I noticed that the battery was at 45%. So it seems that low temperature affects the battery status.

A few days later, about same temperature, same low battery warning. I did not switch to battery save mode. I left the unit running outside even after I finished riding. I had a full 3.5 hours of recording after reaching the 10% level before the battery completely drained and the unit shut off. Another indication that the low temperature confuses the battery status.

I have my Edge 820 since 2 years now. I did not ride in the cold the first years so I can't comment wether it is a new issue or if it has always been like this
  • I have the same problem my garmin 820 can hold for 4 hours even in sommer, it have been the same problem for day one.

i borugt my garmin in sout africa under the joberg2c race only to be sure the have the route on my garmin.

i am reely pist off whit my garmin 820 s battery. its ***. Disappointed