This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Live Segment resets Virtual Partner stats

This morning I was trying something different to try and keep my average speed up... set virtual partner to the desired average & ride.

All went well until I hit a live segment - before the live segment I was ~2 mins behind virtual partner pace (~1km behind). After the segment (a short 45" blast up a hill) I was dead on VP pace (0m ahead)... but my average speed was still 0.5km/h lower than VP speed.

Next live segment the same happened - although this time I was ~1 min ahead (550m) at the start & dead on VP pace after (0m ahead)

Anyone else see this?

Firmware 8.00
  • I have the same issue: I'd expect the virtual partner to refer to my total distance over total time, not the distance and time since the end of the previous live segment. This problem has been ongoing for many years over various versions of firmware, likely since the inception of live segments. Garmin, please correct this, or add a checkbox on the virtual partner page giving the option to reset or not after a live segment.

• Yeah, not to mention that virtual partner on live segment (or course) is not functionnal: it just take into account the average speed for position, time relative to virtual partner and estimated time of arrival. "Quite" dumb if the slope on the segment (or course) is not always the same.... 

• I can only aggree with the 3 posts here and be sad. After more than 5 years, Garmin did not do anything to fix the Virtual Partner feature!

1/ VP uses average speed, not the recorded GPX time stamps => time vs VP as implemented is not functionnal.

2/ VP is reset in case of short track loss (e.g. tunnel) => VP as implemented is not functionnal.

3/ VP is reset when you encounter live segments (as reported here) => VP as implemented is not functionnal.

Garmin, please, please, finally, fix the Virtual Partner! or just be honnest and stop marketing a not functional feature.

• Hi,

I don't think this forum is a way to contact Garmin. You need to contact Garmin Support and report your problem there. Garmin do not actively monitor everything on this forum.

Nick