This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 800 SD card maps onto 820?

Hi everyone,

Just upgraded from my older Garmin 800 to the 820. On my 800 I have the Garmin OS maps on SD card. Just wondered if it is possible to copy these onto the 820? I've tried copying what I think are the correct files but I get a message about can't unlock maps when I restart my 820. I'm guessing they are locked to my 800 or aren't compatible.

Checked on the Garmin website and it seems I can download OS maps for the UK and it looks like there is an 820 option (although they offer download or SD card????) but they want £199 for the privilege which seems crazy when I already have them on my 800. Use my Garmin for both on and off road navigation so really like to use the OS maps.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks,
Graham
  • How did you get these maps? If they came on a sd card they're locked to the card. You can use that card in any device that will accept a card, but you can't copy the files to another card.
  • on SD card with device

Sounds like it wont work then. When I bought the 800 it came with the UK Ordinance Survey maps preloaded on the SD card, they are really useful when mountain biking as they show all trails and bridal ways etc.
  • Same!

Just tried this today, got the same "Can't unlock" message. A real shame. I was hoping that using the bitmapped maps and turning off the vectors might also help with the speed issues the 820 has. Guess I won't find out unless I shell out another 120 quid...
  • The reason I am not upgrading from my Edge 800 is because as far as I am concerned I've already paid for the OS maps on the SD card and there is no way I'm getting sucked into this new monetisation model until I absolutely have to. The Landranger maps are £20 for one small map on new devices!

• I'm not familiar with Landranger maps.  How do the included or free OSM maps fall short for your purposes?

• The OS Landranger 1:25000 maps are accurate and show details down to footpaths and bridleways, As far as I’ve been able to see, the supplied map is in no way detailed enough for mountain biking in the UK and the maps that are 1:25000 are too expensive especially when you consider I have already paid for OS maps.

• I'm pretty sure almost every little footpath and trail are shown, if not on the supplied maps, on free OSM maps you can install on current Edge devices.  Check out OSM maps of the UK at the following site.  Zoom into your riding areas to see what or what isn't depicted.

www.openstreetmap.org/

• No I'm afraid that there are no other maps available with the same level of detail as the OS 1:25000 Landranger maps, and that is the level of detail you need if you want to legally explore old drovers roads, bridleways and long lost rights of way in Mid Wales, The Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons and the rest of wales.

I just noticed that the Garmin 1030 actually has a card slot and was for a moment excited at the possibility of upgrading to that and using my (already paid for) maps on the card in the Edge 800, but on reading a few posts from others with the same problem it appears that has been made impossible/difficult too! 

This is not how you build a loyal customer base! I'm gutted as much as I love my 800 (which is still going strong) I would love the extra bluetooth functionality, better fitness reporting and live functions that the newer models offer. If I wanted a 1030 with the maps I need for the entire UK, the unit is going to be unreasonably priced. This is a real shame for those of us still out for adventure and exploration on our bikes in the UK.