This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is the Edge 820 even worth it?

Judging by all the threads and posts on these forums about the bugs with the unit I'm beginning to wonder if the Edge 820 is a good buy, I've been looking for a new cycling computer and quite frankly the Wahoo Elemnt seems like a better option, yes it doesn't have a touch screen, but what's the point when the one on the 820 is barely functional? On top of that the Elemnt has turn by turn navigation too and the contrast of the screen is better, really don't see why I should be getting a 820 I'm hoping to get some input from the owners on this forum as I've been a long time Garmin user and am quite reluctant to make the switch.
  • I’m on my third or forth year with my 820. Bought it when they first came out as the bundle package.  Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase. There was a software update that was a dog but the next update seemed to fix everything. All the advertised features work on mine but I only use the heart rate, cadence, speed , di2 gear and di battery check. And of course the map/route upload to Garmin connect and then Strava. I have uploaded a turn by turn route file a couple of times and everything worked well. Strava live segments also works well but I prefer not to use it.  I do have some screen halo but it’s not enough at this time for me to send it in for replacement. I have found it is important to have Garmin connect open and running in the background on my phone for a seamless post ride upload.  Di2 integration is very important to me and it works very well. Internet WiFi and phone Bluetooth work well and are pretty seamless. 

There are quite a few choices available now that were not around around when I made my purchase but I think I would make the 820 or 830 choice again. I like the size and features that are important to me. As long as the Garmin software people do not mess it up, I believe the 820 Will continue to work for me.