This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 820 - Is It Suppose to Re-Calculate Your Course When You Go Off?

Okay, so I feel like I've seen posts on this but couldn't find any browsing the first few pages or by the search bar.

So I've been testing Navigating a saved course. I tried some mountain bike trails a few weeks back and went off the course on purpose. I did get a off course warning but the 820 did not try to re-calculate to get me back on course. So on Saturday I loaded up a test course around my neighborhood and took several wrong turns. The Garmin just gave me an off course notice but again did not re-calculate. (although my position kept updating on the map which is contrary to what I've read here.)

I simply kept riding and when U joined back up to the course on the map, the navigation resumed. Is this how it's supposed to work? perhaps it would only re-calculate if you are navigating to a specific destination?
  • I tired Garmin routes again today with significantly more success.

I used a 60 km route that I had created in Garmin Connect some time back. I purposely deviated from the route to see how the 820 would react. Here is what happened:

Within a few seconds of leaving the programmed route I got  an "off course" message.

It then started a recalculation after which I got a prompt to make a U-turn.

This kept happening for a little while (recalculate and make a U-turn)

After about 4 iterations, it asked me to make a left turn ahead to a road which would take me back to the route.

I followed the directions and it took me back to the course at a point which was further along in my route (beyond my original point of route departure).

This is what I expected a Guidance computer to do.

I kept deviating from my programmed route (and although it did not behave EXACTLY the same as before) it did get me back on course and continue the route eventually.

So what changed? 

Was it that I used a route that was created in Garmin Connect?

Was there a software update that I missed? The first time I posted I checked the firmware of the 820 and it was 12.7...Maybe I was experiencing issues prior to 12.7 and in fact it was corrected by the time I posted two days ago (?).

I will create a route in Strava or Komoot and see if the 820 behaves the same way when I go off route.

Will post results in the next few days.