This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 820 - Is It Suppose to Re-Calculate Your Course When You Go Off?

Okay, so I feel like I've seen posts on this but couldn't find any browsing the first few pages or by the search bar.

So I've been testing Navigating a saved course. I tried some mountain bike trails a few weeks back and went off the course on purpose. I did get a off course warning but the 820 did not try to re-calculate to get me back on course. So on Saturday I loaded up a test course around my neighborhood and took several wrong turns. The Garmin just gave me an off course notice but again did not re-calculate. (although my position kept updating on the map which is contrary to what I've read here.)

I simply kept riding and when U joined back up to the course on the map, the navigation resumed. Is this how it's supposed to work? perhaps it would only re-calculate if you are navigating to a specific destination?
  • This is a comment of one of teh users who contacted Garmin regarding recalculation... It's working as it should considering Garmin response. However I have to agree with the comment that it is not a friendly solution.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

couldn’t get the unit to re-route when I went off course either so I contacted support. Here is their response:

“…that route re-calculation is only available if your Edge 820 calculates a route for you from one place to another. If you’re doing a pre-planned course as you’ve indicated, if you go off-course, the Edge 820 will not recalculate the path to get you back on course. You will have to go back to the point where you went off course in order for the course to track again.”

I have no words to describe how absurd this is.
  • Whether or not it recalculates is an option on the other units. I'd expect it to be an option on the 820.

On some of the units (the 800, for example), the recalculated route abandoned the course. That is, rather than computing a route back to the course (what people tend to expect), it calculated a different course to the endpoint.

The newer units might behave like people expect.
  • okay thanks. Yeah there is an option to have it re-calculate and I have that enabled. But it doesn't seem to do anything.

It would be annoying if it abandoned the course altogether though. It just says "off course" but shows where you are and you can see where the course is, so I suppose easy enough to find your way back on. Maybe it's don't this way on purpose now since people didn't like their Garmin abandoning their course.??? I would expect though that the 820 will re-calculate if you have it navigating to a specific point of interest or location and the unit is picking the course. But I haven't tested that.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    I had it once recalculate me back to my preloaded route, and that was the first time I've tried it :)
    Rode about 20 rides ever since, and it never recalculated again.

So bit a hit and a miss with that feature. Mostly miss.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    There are options available

When I went 'off course', I touched that area of the screen and there were three options available. My prescription Oakleys are very old so I couldn't read them (new ones coming this week) but I would imagine an option to direct me back on course was one of them.
  • This is a comment of one of teh users who contacted Garmin regarding recalculation... It's working as it should considering Garmin response. However I have to agree with the comment that it is not a friendly solution.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

couldn’t get the unit to re-route when I went off course either so I contacted support. Here is their response:

“…that route re-calculation is only available if your Edge 820 calculates a route for you from one place to another. If you’re doing a pre-planned course as you’ve indicated, if you go off-course, the Edge 820 will not recalculate the path to get you back on course. You will have to go back to the point where you went off course in order for the course to track again.”

I have no words to describe how absurd this is.

This post must have been delayed as it wasn't here yesterday (lol). Thanks for the reply! I guess this confirms my suspicion that the Edge 820 does not recalculate for a planned route. This actually DOES make some sense since the unit can not really know if there is some part of the route (point of interest maybe) you wanted to navigate to or a specific portion you want to ride over. So it couldn't possibly know the best way to re-route. If you choose a point of interest or address, etc directly on the edge, it can reroute you because it knows what you are trying to navigate to.

I suppose the 820 could just tell you to u-turn back to the spot you rode off.???

However support said "You will have to go back to the point where you went off course in order for the course to track again." But when I tested on the street, I never turned around to get back on at the spot I went off course. I simply kept riding and turned back on to where I could see the course up ahead. I found once I got back on the course, navigation resumed just fine. I repeated this twice and it worked both times.

I contacted customer support and waited two weeks to hear back from the tech department to find out recalculation is not supported for courses. How does regular customer support not even know the answer and why would it take two weeks to hear back?....because it's so absurd that everyone who works at garmin thinks it should have recalculation on courses. I wish I never sold my 510 because this 820 sucks on so many levels.
  • well dpawlyk indicated the 800 did re-calculate and it was not well received because it would totally kill the pre-defined route that a user created. That is not a desired behavior. I believe they could at least create a re-route to the next turn on your original route and then just resume from there. (similar to how the unit will navigate you to the course start.) But perhaps there is a technical reason they don't do this.

Overall, now that I know the answer, id much rather have the 820 not re-route my saved routes than totally kill my entire planned ride if I stray 10 feet off of my route. I don't think the 820 sucks at all. (it at least works great for my purposes.) I never had a 510 but I like it better than the 520. The 520 doesn't route turn by turn at all.
  • I've never found the course recalculation necessary.

If you go off course, you know about it fairly quickly.

In that case, it's not hard just to ride back onto the course.

Keep in mind that these computers are slow. They might not be able to keep recalculating the route.
  • I experimented with this function shortly after buying this.
    It works well if you search for a destination on the Edge (postcode) and you can set it to prompt you for recalculation or just let it do it automatically.
    Both worked well.
    It didn't work on a course I created though. I believe the map just froze until I rejoined the course.
    Haven't needed to use it since. But atleast I know it works if I'm creating a route on the device