This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Stop, start with breaks in rides

Hi, just got the thumbs up to post here, been trying for a few days to get the clearance to post.

Got a question about how to stop a ride (halfway), turn the 820 off, then start again.

On my 810 it was simple, ride to work, hit the start/stop button, the [discard][save] screen comes up and you turn the unit off using the power button. Same with doing 24h events, do your lap, hit play/pause after the lap and turn off, when you turn back on at the power button for the next lap, the [discard][save] screen comes up and is started again by pressing start/stop.

I am sure a good few of you would have used the above method on the 810.

My 820 is a different cat... I have had different results with the same methods. If i ride to work and hit the start/stop, then press the power button quickly to put the unit to sleep. I have turned back on after a 12hr shift to find the unit has turned off completely and needs a fully 10 second press to come alive rather than a quick "power on" press... this results (on some occasions) in the ride to work being saved as 1 ride, then having to start my return journey as an additional ride.
I have also had the above turn on and give me the [discard][save] screen, which I would have expected, allowing me to press play and return home.

If I do the exact same with the 820 that I did with the 810, press start/stop - which brings up the [discard][save] screen, long press to get the power option screen, turn the unit off. Then turn on before the ride home it has worked 90% of the time, on a few occasions it has saved the ride. I have also found that on the 820, I cannot use a power lead (no computer) to charge the unit mid ride while either powered off or in sleep mode as disconnection of the lead turns the unit on and auto saves the ride.

Is anyone using the "sleep" option successfully for anything ?

Anyone else experiencing these odd issues... would be a lot easier to deal with if it was a constant issue.

Apart from this, I've been pretty happy with my 820 so far.
  • I can't really help, as I've always done my commute as two rides, for me this has the advantage of being able to check the uploaded data from the ride to work while I'm at work and getting paid for it. ;)
    What I have found is my 820 is much more reliable at uploading rides than my 810 ever was.
  • Is your 820 paired with any lights?
  • Cheers guys, no my 820 is not paired with anything. I dont use cadence, HRM, Power, nothing.

I'm having mixed results with stopping it. Still learning how to use it but the irregularity of "stoppage" rides is a bit weird.

Reckon I might go with the 'power off' and dont try to charge between rides in the mean time, that seems to be the 100% method, though I have a 5 day ride coming up soonish that I would like to have recorded as one... might have to do a bit more experimenting.
  • I can't really help, as I've always done my commute as two rides, for me this has the advantage of being able to check the uploaded data from the ride to work while I'm at work and getting paid for it. ;)
    What I have found is my 820 is much more reliable at uploading rides than my 810 ever was.

Got my 810 sitting here and a mate is gaggin for it, bloody awesome unit for over 3yrs, just had the battery replaced and its 100%... going to give it to him as I really like the 820, everything is good in all other aspects with my 820, just need to iron out this stop/start issue.
  • Same here my son currently has my old 800, but I can tell he has his eye on my 810, I'm not handing it over until I'm 100% sure, that said the 820 is better in almost every respect.
  • Have you figured out how to do this? I recently upgraded from the 800 to the 820 and it was disappointing to me that my morning and evening commutes were two activities. I hate it when I upgrade and find out that features have been taken away.

• Easy to do.  At the end of your morning commute, press the physical start/pause button and a screen comes up to save or discard.  Ignore this and power down.  When you power up again for your evening commute, the same screen will be displayed.  Press the start/pause button to continue recording that activity.