This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is there a way to restore back to factory?

The factory reset option does not do the trick. I'm still seeing my personalized files showing up, for example, the modified startup.txt and the gmapsupp.img (from Openstreetmap).
  • A full reset will not be able to restore the basemap and may not clear the startup.txt, but it should remove all other files.

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear - Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, Workouts.

• Turn device off
    • Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Press and release the power button
    • Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
    • The unit will restart and clear non-vol
  • A full reset will not be able to restore the basemap and may not clear the startup.txt, but it should remove all other files.

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear - Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, Workouts.

• Turn device off
    • Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Press and release the power button
    • Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
    • The unit will restart and clear non-vol

I have tried this a few times but unfortunately it does not restore the device to factory. I'm doing this to troubleshoot the Wi-Fi issue. When I first got the 820, I was able to add one Wi-Fi network but ever since, I have not been able to add additional networks. I did a "factory reset" within the 820 hoping to fix the issue and now it won't even see a single network. Adding the Wi-Fi network manually also does not work.
  • I think this is how to restore to factory, at least to the latest factory firmware, deleting all applications, customized startup.txt and :

1. Connect to computer
    2. Delete all folders and files in Garmin folder
    3. Disconnect from computer
    4. Power off Edge 820
    5. Press and hold lap/reset and start/stop buttons
    6. Press and release the power button
    7. Release lap/reset and start/stop buttons after the Garmin logo goes away

But it still does not fix my Wi-Fi problem.