This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident Detection is driving me Bonkers!

Hey everyone!

is anyone else having issues with a incident detection where it activates but then it is a bugger to cancel.

Twice today on a ride I stopped at a junction then had to stop again shortly after and I think get the message come up saying incident detected. I press cancel on the screen but this is not good enough for the stupid software so it then starts to count down from 30 saying 'hold here' to cancel but there is barely any response when doing it. Im trying to press down in every point from different angles and it just does not respond. Of the two incidents today one I managed to cancel and the second I had to send out a 'false alarm' text which is annoying in the middle of a ride.

Cant we have an option to just cancel the message by pressing cancel once or maybe press cancel once and then press the start button rather than this silly tiny 'hold her' area?

Tom
  • I turned off incident detection. It's a very useful function but is too sensitive when it comes to detecting fake incidents and not sensitive enough when it comes to switching off the alarm.
  • I’ll call Garmin, today it triggered an incident report every single time I went to full stop, I had to dactivate it and told my wife to ignore all the messages. I was on a new route and needed the 820 for navigation else I would have turned it off...the only thing that was different today was riding at minus degrees (Celsius)
  • I’ll call Garmin, today it triggered an incident report every single time I went to full stop, I had to dactivate it and told my wife to ignore all the messages. I was on a new route and needed the 820 for navigation else I would have turned it off...the only thing that was different today was riding at minus degrees (Celsius)
  • I had the same issue last sunday I braked at end of a descent and It started the count down, it was impossible to stop it on the touch screen, I had gloves and I didn't have time enough to take the smartphone! so I had to call my parents to explain what happened! very bad! I think I'am going to disable this function until it will work properly!!!!!
  • It's a a well meaning idea, but I turned mine off due to too many false alarms. So unless I ride off a cliff, I'll take my chances.
  • I just came back from a ride and had two false Incident detections. In both cases I had come to a stop at a light. The first time I didn’t deactivate it quickly enough, so my wife had quite a scare. I managed to turn it off in the nick of time in the second instance. It’s pretty clear that there is something flaky in the software. Considering how far back these posts go, it seems pretty negligent of Garmin not to have resolved this.
  • mine went off 3x this morning when I was doing hill sprints on a run. (Sorint 20, stop, walk down hill, repeat) It had never gone off before on this type of run. I have a 945 Forerunner. I was able to cancel first 2 and not 3rd and had to stop eorkout to reassure my emergency contacts that I was fine.

• I have an Edge 530 and cancelling incident detection (which is often necessary because it gives lots of false positives) is a real pain. Sometimes the cancel option just disappears and you press buttons in a panic, all to no avail. I'm turning mine off - which really defeats the purpose. Surely it could be cancelled by just pressing any button once say 5 seconds or more after it activates. In an accident buttons won't be pressed accidentally to cancel it. As it stands, it's hopeless.

• Hi there! Since the last 2 or 3 firmware updates, my incident detections triggers all the time, I just have to stop in pavement with vibrations and the Garmin start the Incident detection process, And like the other users say, I am also not able to turn it off since the screen does not reply to finger. I have to use my mobile phone to cancel it. This is annoying and I am thinking to turn this feature off since it works so bad, in the past used to work really fine, nowadays if you travel 1h at 30 km/h speed and then you stop at any place it will trigger the incident detection, my friends also found that they have this issue, to prevent they have just turned this thing off.

Another thing that happens is that if the msg is sent you get prompted with a Warning saying the msgs were sent and you will not be able to press the check to close that window and I will not able to see again my Garmin, got stuck in that screen.

When I got home I had to turn the device off and on to try to get rid of that warning, I think I have used the stop button to store the ride.

please help.

Thank you.

• I have stopped using this feature for a long time ago. Too much false alarms generated.