This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident Detection is driving me Bonkers!

Hey everyone!

is anyone else having issues with a incident detection where it activates but then it is a bugger to cancel.

Twice today on a ride I stopped at a junction then had to stop again shortly after and I think get the message come up saying incident detected. I press cancel on the screen but this is not good enough for the stupid software so it then starts to count down from 30 saying 'hold here' to cancel but there is barely any response when doing it. Im trying to press down in every point from different angles and it just does not respond. Of the two incidents today one I managed to cancel and the second I had to send out a 'false alarm' text which is annoying in the middle of a ride.

Cant we have an option to just cancel the message by pressing cancel once or maybe press cancel once and then press the start button rather than this silly tiny 'hold her' area?

Tom
  • I'm afraid I've given up on Incident Detection for the time being.
    Until Garmin can make it Activity specific it's more trouble than it's worth.
  • E De Amicis

oh my this is driving me crazy too. I hope the firmware engineers see this. when it detects an incident it's almost like the touchscreen stops working. it's impossible you cancel no matter how much I hold my finger on the screen. I can't believe this passed QA.
    Hey everyone!

is anyone else having issues with a incident detection where it activates but then it is a bugger to cancel.

Twice today on a ride I stopped at a junction then had to stop again shortly after and I think get the message come up saying incident detected. I press cancel on the screen but this is not good enough for the stupid software so it then starts to count down from 30 saying 'hold here' to cancel but there is barely any response when doing it. Im trying to press down in every point from different angles and it just does not respond. Of the two incidents today one I managed to cancel and the second I had to send out a 'false alarm' text which is annoying in the middle of a ride.

Cant we have an option to just cancel the message by pressing cancel once or maybe press cancel once and then press the start button rather than this silly tiny 'hold her' area?

Tom
  • Good experience with incident detection

So far, i haven't had any false positive from the Incident Detection yet and this morning i found out it worked pretty well unwittingly. I was on my commute to work on a multi-use trail and a cyclist riding from the opposite direction made a left turn right in front of me with no warning. I tried to brake but i crashed into the side of her bike. That triggered Incident Detection. I disabled the countdown. But there is a bug in the Garmin Connect app. It gave me this message "Incident Detected. We've notified your emergency contacts." When i launched the Garmin Connect app, there was this message:

"A message has been sent to your emergency contacts. If you do not need help, you can let them know that you are OK."

So i selected "I'm OK" and it proceeded to sent my wife an email and a text.
  • Don't know if I should be happy or not, Incident Detection does not trigger at all.
  • Hey everyone!

Tom

I'm having this same issue with my new 820Explore (8.80). ID works, but I can't cancel it. If I cancel it from the phone (Garmin Connect), screen is still stuck on the Edge. I can continue my workout only by doing full reset.
  • I’m having similar issues. I’ve had my computer for a few years and never had issues until last firmware update. I think they must have tweaked the sensitivity, a few small ruts while decelerating seems to be enough to trigger, so almost any Scottish junction!! Never had this issue before, previously I have even had fallovers that don’t trigger the device. So it has gone from something reassuring to being a nuisance, not only sending out the warning message, you then have to call or txt your emergency contacts to reassure them all is ok and it’s just a stupid computer issue. Hope your listening Garmin.
  • Hey guys, for me it is the opposite, the incident is rarely activating, to trigger it I have to shake the unit like a &*&&*.... Moreover, it is only sending a mail, not a text, this may be due to the fact I am running on Windows mobile also..
  • I’m having similar issues. I’ve had my computer for a few years and never had issues until last firmware update. I think they must have tweaked the sensitivity, a few small ruts while decelerating seems to be enough to trigger, so almost any Scottish junction!! Never had this issue before, previously I have even had fallovers that don’t trigger the device. So it has gone from something reassuring to being a nuisance, not only sending out the warning message, you then have to call or txt your emergency contacts to reassure them all is ok and it’s just a stupid computer issue. Hope your listening Garmin.

I'm having the same issue. Incident detection happens under normal braking to a full stop (occurred 3x before I turned it off), and then it gives 30 seconds to stop notification, and then the screen freezes on the unit, and then it requires a re-boot to get going again. I later hunted around for some sensitivity settings (how I found this thread), but haven't found anything yet. So, sorry, Garmin, I'm not willing to "cry wolf" to my emergency contacts for false alarms. Eventually, they'll be hesitant to come when I really need them. I turned it all off as too sensitive and annoying and, quite frankly, compromising to my safety.

Any help is appreciated.
  • I would like to encourage customers who are having issues with incident detection to reach out to us directly (phone, chat, or email), mention your post here on the forum and we will help investigate the concerns.
  • I would like to encourage customers who are having issues with incident detection to reach out to us directly (phone, chat, or email), mention your post here on the forum and we will help investigate the concerns.

Thanks for your attention. Done.