This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding ClimbPro on the Edge - updated for build 5.50

I thought it would be helpful to write-up how ClimbPro works on the Edge. 

This write-up is based on the recent 5.50 software release.

New in Build 5.50 is

Estimated time to the top of the climb

Understanding ClimbPro on the Edge V1.9.pdf

• So basically the climb category is based solely on elevation gained. As long as grade is "(rise/run) x 100" and Climb Score is "run x grade", so the Climb Score is just "rise x 100". Hm, interesting. I would say, that climbing 50 m of elevation over 1,5 km length (so 3,3333333% grade) is different category than climbing 50 m over 500 m (10% grade), but here it would get the same Climb Score.

• So, I think i've had the turn by turn instructions turned off, however, it seems to want to switch to a screen which shows the distance to the next waypoint.  As a result, its difficult for me to see the screens that I'd prefer to see (when not on a climb)...it keeps jumping back to the countdown to next waypoint.  For all of the time that I'm not on a climb, it makes my other screens useless.

I feel like I am missing something?

• TBT instructions are different from course points (what you are calling (waypoints). When loading a course scroll to the bottom of the menu before selecting "Ride". There you will see "Settings". You can switch the course points off from there.

• Great article. Thanks. I just got a new Edge 5530 last week, and went for the first ride with it yesterday. I was following a route that I had uploaded to the device and ClimbPro definitly popped up when I had some climbs. However, there were a few climbs I did that it missed...possible because it considered them too easy...

I want to follow the instructions you have given to adjust that, but I just can't find the ClimbPro settings page. I get to the elevation data screen, and the following is shown:

- Reorder Screen

- Show Screen

- Layout preview

- Field 1: Grade

- Field 2: Elevation

... but no "Climb Detection" option (as in your guide). Am I missing something?

• What build do you have on the unit? I wounder if you have a regional unit that does not have this option yet?

This is what I see

• Software Version .5.20. I'm in the Netherlands, so not sure if that makes a difference. (Here in the Netherlands iit's so flat that any small change of gradient is considered a "climb").

• I just checked the release notes for version 5.00. It definitly states:

"- Added a setting in the ClimbPro data screen setup to specify which climbs should be detected (All, Medium/Large, Large Only)."

Not sure why I'm not seeing it...

• Not sure if this has any affect, but check that the profile you are using is not Indoors (i.e. the GPS is enable and not disabled).

Try changing the UI to use English if it is currently not.

You could also try installing the 5.34 beta release.

• Something I've been wondering about: It appears that the handling of ClimbPro "intervals" is not too dissimilar from Strava/Garmin Live Segments. Yet, no matter whether live segment data is provided by Strava or Garmin, in the case of live segments we have to use the respective online platforms to trigger live segments during a navigation supported ride. I wonder what might be the reason for it. It would be much easier using other route planning platforms such as komoot in conjunction with live segments if we wouldn't have that restriction (like on a Wahoo). 

• The reason is that the Edge currently only supports one concurrent navigation activity and for segments to work while following a course the segment start/end point and UUID need to be embedded in the course file. When the Edge gets to a segment it suspends the course navigation and then executes the segment until the segment is complete or terminated and then reverts back to processing the course.

For this to work the course building tool needs to include the segment reference data. Currently the only tools that do that are Garmin Connect for Garmin segment users and the Strava Route app for Strava segment users. This is only supported in the FIT file format.

Other tools could do this, but they would need access to either your Garmin or Strava account to know what segments you have selected and whether they fall on the course you have built.