This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

530 unsuccessful pair with phone

hi got my garmin 530 2 days ago, but it just gives me only frustrations

i cant get it to pair with my samsung s9 or girlfriends iphone se

updated it to the latest 3.41 beta version aswell, but without success 

the gps aswell loses connection every few seconds and even standing still the device counts meters and gives random speed numbers

i can see the device via bluetooth and sometimes it gives me a key for completion, but the app tells me that the pairing was unsuccessful and the device is still in searching mode

did i get a faulty device and should i send it back? or am i doing something wrong

• ok it looks there is something with the samsung s9 that blocks my garmin

i just grabbed my old huawei p7 and it synced without any problems

now i have to figure out what is causing the problem

• even with the 3.50 update i cant pair it with my samsungs s9, donne everything even cleared my bluetooth cache

• I’m not sure if you want to go down this path, but you could backup the phone using Samsung Smart Switch, factory reset the phone, install GCM and then try pairing it to BLE, if it works then at least you know it isn’t the S9 as such. Then you can try loading apps back on until it fails, or it may not fail at all.

As a side note, my 530 on 3.20 paired immediately with my S9 and would connect as soon as i turned it on. When I upgraded the 530 to 3.50 it disconnected the BLE (there's a distant memory of BT needing to be re-paired after an upgrade on my 510, so this may be normal) and I had a hell of a hard time to get them to pair again, just going around in circles, but eventually got it. It also seemed very sluggish to reconnect each time.

• nah factory reset is not an option for me, i use waaay too many authenticators to reinstall them

• well still cant connect my s9, even factory restarted the phone and updated the garmin to 3,55beta :/

• I have successfully paired S9 with Edge 530, my problem is they won't connect. From the Edge Status screen it shows Edge is searching for the phone but it doesn't connect. 

Edge Software Version = 4.1

S9 Software = Android Version 9

To solve the connection issue I did the following

1. Put Edge in Status mode
    2. On the Edge - Phone status shows "searching" 
    3. On S9 turn on "Location" from pull down menu
    4. Wait few seconds
    5. On S9 turn Bluetooth off/on from pull down menu
    6. Phone connected message displays momentarily on top line of Edge next to temperature display
    7. On Edge Status screen Phone status shows Galaxy S9

This seems to be working and phone stays connected even if you turn off "Location" on S9. However if you have the Edge set to Auto sleep and it goes into sleep mode (say during a ride at a coffee stop, when you resume the ride the phone does not connect. Avoid this by turning off Auto Sleep. Or to connect after Edge is in sleep mode follow the steps 3,4,5 above.

As you can see I've had some fun with this and hope this helps someone else. 

John S

• Glad you (sort of) got it working, but, that’s crazy! 

Fortunately, mine, just works

• I had The same problem that my Garmin 530 (running latest software version 4.3) did not want to pair with my iPhone XR.

After turning of WiFi, being away from any other Bluetooth devices, I had to try several times to pair and I did Get the Bluetooth passkey numbers to show on both phone and Garmin. Then the Garmin asks something like “are you willing to share connection with IPhone?” 

When I clicked Yes, the phone always said “unsuccessful”. After three times doing this again without success, I figured: why not press NO on Garmin? And then everything worked! 

So I think The software just swapped the proper contingent action. Go figure...  but at least, everything works now.

• Unconventional approach! But hey presto this seems to have worked for me too, after much frustration. Thanks

• I just tried this on my iPhone SE and it works. There's a "cancel" option on the pairing, and it went through.

As JanVanMieghem said, I think the software was improperly programmed and the "cancel" option is swapped with the "Yes" function. Everything works for me as well now that I tried the cancel option!