This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

530 unsuccessful pair with phone

hi got my garmin 530 2 days ago, but it just gives me only frustrations

i cant get it to pair with my samsung s9 or girlfriends iphone se

updated it to the latest 3.41 beta version aswell, but without success 

the gps aswell loses connection every few seconds and even standing still the device counts meters and gives random speed numbers

i can see the device via bluetooth and sometimes it gives me a key for completion, but the app tells me that the pairing was unsuccessful and the device is still in searching mode

did i get a faulty device and should i send it back? or am i doing something wrong

• BT is such a fickle thing to connect.  If something is hijacking the best route is disconnect the sensor.  I'd say, turn the phone off before that, swipe the GCM app up to indicate you've closed it down.  On restart of the phone, make sure it's not trying to connect to any other BT sensors.  Ordinarily, this would be fine, but if by chance it's causing an issue, rule it out.  I found an issue, where GCM was trying to connect to my V3 as well as look for the 530.  

Have a look on the 530, does it have the S9 there but not connected. If so, delete it and start again.  You could try to power off the device by keeping the power pressed and it will cycle.  I reset mine, just to give the best and cleanest chance of connection.  Even when I did that, it still took a few attempts. - airplane mode, clear GCM cache in app, and then the pairing code would pop up.  I usually accept via the phone.  But I think it is a bit of a faff to get the connection.   Understandable what it does though .Android can reply to messages via text, what's app etc, all sorts of notifications, audio prompts. It goes on... 

Good luck budThumbsup

• Ps you're one step ahead of me, I'm still on 3.20. 

• My old Garmin devices required a clear view of the sky for 10 or so minutes after first install. So, it may disconnect especially if you're indoors? GCM will also send the 530 latest Data for the satellites on connection.  My belief is that it speeds acquisition of the device. So, if GCM isn't connected perhaps it's struggling to acquire.  

The other thing, have you got WiFi turned on the device too? Perhaps leave that on, if it's not already and off it is... Trouble shooting wise

• ok will try it out, how do i see the s9 on the 530? is it somewhere hidden in the submenus?

• Have a look on settings, connected features, phone - if there is a phone connected, you'll see it there .on the status page have a look at what it says there under phone, searching? 

Open Bluetooth on the phone, see if edge 530 is there  as a paired device.  Available device is okay, bit paired, unpair it and start the 530 pairing from app again Thumbsup

• FWIW, I had errors attempting to pair on a network that had Pi-Hole DNS filtering enabled. On the off chance that you have something similar set up, try disabling it or switching to another network.

• Turned off every bt device in the house. Restarted my phone and garmin multiple times

Went outside just to be sure nothing interfering 

Still cant pair the phone. Its kinda frustrating after so many days

• I finally got my 530 today, pulled it out the box, turned it on and immediately paired it with my S9, no issues whatsoever. It’s still on 3.20.

All my ANT+ sensors paired immediately too (Stages PM, Garmin HRM, Garmin Speed/Cadence).

I have NOT paired the 530 to any WiFi.

The Edge picks up my phone within a few seconds of being switched on, rides are uploaded immediately without having to touch Garmin Connect.

So far, I’m actually pleasantly surprised - I was expecting dramas.

• I'd uninstall GCM and reinstall and try then.  Failing that, send them a support ticket

• Related to my other comment, but have you tried disconnecting from your home wifi and pairing while on cell data only?