This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensors drop during a ride

Hi guys,

In my last ride I got a drop just at the end of the activity. Suddenly every sensors disconected: stages powermeter, garmin HR belt, garmin speed sensor and also my Nexus 6 phone. It won't connect again until the end of the ride. Power off and on and everything connect again fast.

Link to the activity https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/894020511

I reported to garmin support by email. It was my 6th ride with edge 520 and the first issue
  • Same thing happened to me today at the Levi's GranFondo.

I think it happened when I went out of range with my HR monitor at the rest stop.
    It also dropped the power meter (Stages) and Cadence

Very annoying, but i wouldn't expect anything else from Garmin...
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    New software in 520, still dropping sensors. BT off, Glonass+GPS on. Just noticed on my ride that Garmin suddenly said in the middle of the ride that "sensor xx found". It was found already when I started my ride. How can this software be this unrealiable?
  • It seems that my sensors on the 520 consistently drops when I have my Fenix3 connecting via bluetooth at the same time. Somehow the Fenix3 stays connected to all the sensors, but the 520 goes away (dropping power/cadence, HRM, speed sensor and bluetooth).

I was able to repeat this during a support call with Garmin today.

1. Edge 520 connected to all sensors.
    2. Turn on Fenix3's bluetooth.
    3. When Fenix's bluetooth connects, all sensors for 520 goes away.

When I turn off bluetooth on the Fenix, the 520 connects back again. I'm using an iPhone 5s running iOS 9.0.1. Happened running iOS 9.0 as well.

Could some of you also have another Garmin or bluetooth device that could be interfering?

I was also told by the support rep that there are known issues with the HRM Run and 520. I've dug up an old non-run HRM to use with my 520 for now.

My workaround is to not use my Fenix3 at the same time as the 520.

Art

I think you may be right there. I have a vivoactive that is also connected to my iPhone. I will try and turn off my vivoactive and see if the 520 drops sensors still. But maybe if people can report if they have an alternative device connecting to their phone and also specifically if its a garmin that might narrow it down.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago

I've never dropped a sensor while riding (I don't use BT connectivity btw) but, the other day, afer a 5 min stop, I hadn't cadance anymore when I went back on the road . Had to reconnect it manually while riding. Thing started after upgrade to V3 firmware. Don't now if the not connecting from my pool of sensors (see other topuc) has something to do with the issue above.
  • Same issue on 510

Not unique to 520. Have been having the same prob on my 510 for a while. Today, the LiveTrack just suddenly dropped out mid-ride.
  • My first issue with sensors dropping today, Vivoactive (connected via bluetooth but not recording activity) popped up message saying heart rate monitor connected (it periodically searches if the sensor is enabled) then all sensors connected to Edge 520 disconnected. I just saved the ride, started a new activity and all sensors were connected.

There were no disconnect messages when the connection dropped, or any sensor found messages when I started a new activity, it's almost like they were still connected but the unit was not displaying / recording any data.
  • Not much good restarting the 520 when you are in the middle of a Zwift session on a smart trainer. Whatever these drop-outs are I hope Garmin has fixed in their later models. Otherwise, I'm going to Wahoo. 

• I have a Fenix 5s; During my indoor ride the speed sensor keeps kicking off. I have tried everything; even replaced the sensors and batteries.. Any suggestions????

• I bought a 520plus and a varia315 two weeks ago to replace a 705 and right away it started to loose all sensor connections, both Ant+ and BT, at some 15-30 minute intervals. It usually reconnects after 10-30 sec but occasionally it can take several minutes. It happens at different locations each time so can not be interference related. It's something in the 520's program that crashes.