This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensors drop during a ride

Hi guys,

In my last ride I got a drop just at the end of the activity. Suddenly every sensors disconected: stages powermeter, garmin HR belt, garmin speed sensor and also my Nexus 6 phone. It won't connect again until the end of the ride. Power off and on and everything connect again fast.

Link to the activity https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/894020511

I reported to garmin support by email. It was my 6th ride with edge 520 and the first issue
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Happened to me also on my very first ride with 520. Restarted my 520 and sensors were found.
  • BT issue

I have that issue a lot. I have found that turning BT off (and thus disconnecting from my iPhone) solves the issue. Be interesting if you could test that theory also and then we can conclude to Garmin exactly where the issue lies.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Great if that works, but that BT connection and notifications were also one of the reasons why I chose 520. Bummer.
  • I have that issue a lot. I have found that turning BT off (and thus disconnecting from my iPhone) solves the issue. Be interesting if you could test that theory also and then we can conclude to Garmin exactly where the issue lies.

I'l try but in my previous rides I always was wearing the Nexus 6 with me...
  • Hi guys,

In my last ride I got a drop just at the end of the activity. Suddenly every sensors disconected: stages powermeter, garmin HR belt, garmin speed sensor and also my Nexus 6 phone. It won't connect again until the end of the ride. Power off and on and everything connect again fast.

Link to the activity https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/894020511

I reported to garmin support by email. It was my 6th ride with edge 520 and the first issue

Same for me. Two rides and a lot of lost data. Have to turn off the unit and then back on while rolling to get it to grab the sensors. Any one try rolling back the unit to the previous version of the software?

Thanks in advance.
  • Ever since I got on my 920xt, I'm in the habit of turning off every sensor not in use. Today I went on a four hour ride. I took a 20 minute break and my power meter needed to be re-paired because it fell asleep. Everything worked smoothly. On this ride I used an HRM-Tri and a power2max power meter. Used BT connection to phone as well.

On my other bike I use di2, vectors and same hrm. Haven't used with 520 yet.
  • Having the same issue...

The same thing has happened to me now as well...the 520 loses connection to every external sensor but not GPS. It will only reinitialize with a power cycle :mad:

I too have emailed customer support.
  • Had another full set of drop outs but no BT this time. Annoying!
  • Same problem here

Have only had my 520 for a week now but this happened on my second ride. About 20 mins in all sensors (HR, speed, power and cadence) dropped along with the BT connection to my iPhone. GPS based speed and distance logging continued. Didn't realize that restarting would help and was worried about losing all ride data. Restarting did restore connections to everything but left a gap in the data. I guess next time I'll just restart the device right away since it seems to know that the ride is ongoing.

Hope they fix this soon. :-(

Regards.
  • Hi,
    I had the same issue this morning,Frist ride with the Edge 520 and the data fields just went blank...however, i was also using my edge 800 which didnt go blank...

However, when i looked at the data on Garmin Connect both the edge 520 and 800 showed an outage of ANT data for about 40 seconds at the same time.

That was, Cycle ops cadence sensor, power tap G3, and Scoschi heart rate monitor.... 3 different manufacturers which is weird

IM going to be running the 520 and 800 side by side for the next few weeks until im confident that the 520 is an 'upgrade' - otherwise its back to the 800 and send back the 520