This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 has frozen (almost) during long rides.

I've been using my Edge 520 for a few years and this hasn't happened before - but in the last three weeks, I had the route from a 62 mile ride loaded and an 90 mile ride loaded (both downloads as .fit files from Ride With GPS).

During both rides, the screen froze - the map was displayed, but it would not update. However, it was "beeping" when I had to make a turn - except of course, I didn't know which way to turn, left or right, since the screen was frozen.

And the buttons still worked, because I could hear a beep when I used the arrows or the start/stop. But it would not turn off, even holding in the power button.

So I let the battery drain, then plugged it in later, and it still registered my entire ride - including my drive home in the car! - so it was functioning, except for the screen - it was just a map, frozen at a certain point in the ride.

Is this just a bug? Would a factory reset help?

• Try a soft reset first (holding the power button for about 10 sec or so)

Also check how much storage space is left and perhaps clean out old activities and courses.

If intending to do a factory reset, backup the various settings files first, so they can easily be restored again.

support.garmin.com/.../

Lastly, how healthy is the battery? Odd things can start happening when the battery is near end of life.