This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Distance calculation without speed sensor

How does Garmin Edge calculate distance when there is no speed sensor? I would think it just uses GPS data but seems like it's not that simple. Usually the distance in .fit file is the same as the distance calculated by 3rd party services using the exported .gpx file or if I remove speed/distance values from the .fit file using fitfiletools. But recently we had a significant difference in distance on two Garmin devices and I wanted to know which one is correct.

My .fit file has the distance of 36.8 km and if I remove speed/distance from it then the distance using coorditanes is 40.8 km. I thought maybe Garmin does some smoothing but looks like other similar .fit files (where I actually used Garmin Edge 510 for hiking) have almost exactly the same distance calculated by the device and using the coordinates.

Where do I dig to find the answer?

Here is the .fit file in question and the exported .gpx.

fit and gpx.zip

• The GPS distance will be the sum of the straight-line distances joining sequential recorded points in the activity fit file. There may be discrepancies between it and the GPX track if there are any GPS signal dropouts or if the track has lots of bends, where the recording interval may not be frequent enough to accurately follow the track, resulting in cut corners.

You could always delve deeper into the fit file by downloading a copy of the FIT SDK.

• I have a recording interval set to 1 second so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't understand why there will be a difference between .fit and .gpx when .gpx is made from .fit file keeping the same coordinates and just dropping speed data and distance calculated by Garmin.

• 1 sec recording isn’t necessarily enough to capture all detail when moving fast. Your GPX file looks to have more points closer together in some areas. Looking at each one in GC, the GPX one has more track detail., which makes it longer.

When I’ve ridden up and down the same winding hill, the down leg has far fewer points than the up leg due to different speeds.

• Can you tell me where do you see more detail? I thought they were supposed to be identical since .gpx is created from .fit file.

• Take a look at about the 12km mark and equivalent point on the return for one example.