This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 and Android 13 (Pixel phone) - won't pair

Hi,

I know this similar to the post in the Edge 820: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-820/305382/pairing-fails-with-android-13-phone/1476466#1476466 however I cannot get my Edge 520 to pair in Garmin Connect with my now updated Android phone, running Android 13. I've tried the two main methods, and used the 'old' bluetooth method, but it keeps failing.

1. So the Edge 520 was paired with my phone and visible in Garmin Connect.
  2. Phone was updated to Android 13.
  3. Went for a ride and noticed the 520 wouldn't upload the ride to my phone.
  4. I removed the device from both Garmin Connect and Android bluetooth setting (forgot the device).
  5. And now I'm stuck in a cycle of not being able to pair in Connect. 

I can pair the device in Android bluetooth settings, and if I then go in to Connect and try to pair with the device name from the Android bluetooth settings, it gets part way through and then fails. If I try and pair direct in Garmin Connect (without it being paired in the Android bluetooth settings) but it doesn't go anywhere. Each time I try, I unpair it from Android etc. but nothing seems to get it working. Also, in Garmin Connect, it no longer auto-detects the Edge 520 when it itself is in pairing mode - I need to 'tell' Garmin Connect it is an Edge, then a 520 and then it tries to connect but fails.

I double checked my Android 1030 to see if it still works, and it recognised the phone after the Android 13 update, so fortunately haven't had to repair it. Same with my Fenix 6x watch - there before and after the Android 13 update and still working/syncing in Garmin Connect.

Any ideas/suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

• You must start the pairing process from the menu on the Edge. It will not be successful if you start it from the phone settings or Connect.

see here

• Same issue with a Pixel 6. I upgraded ir to Android 13 a week ago. I can't pair with my 520+ even followintg the correct pairing process, from the Garmin APP as PeterK_55. I did it many times before, but now is impossible. I tries even reinstalling the Garmin APP.

• When I migrated settings etc to a new iPhone, it took a few attempts before it worked.

I think I went through the following process:

On the Edge, forget the phone Bluetooth connection.

On the phone, forget the Edge.

In the GC App, remove the Edge as a device.

Delete the App from the phone.

Reboot the phone.

Install the GC App.

Start the pairing process again from the Edge, as per the Garmin Instructions. Pairing Your Smartphone

If that doesn't work you might have to go to Garmin Support.

• @4129003  In some ways, glad to see it isn't just me. I suspect the way that bluetooth pairing or the app joining is different with Android 13, that Garmin haven't accommodated. 

• @PeterK_55 Thanks, but I've tried these steps but to no avail. I'm hoping that Garmin will address this in either an 520 update or an app update. They may be waiting for the new iPhone launch and the imminent ios16 update that will coincide. Or it is possible they figure the 520 is 'old' now and don't both about it working on the newer phone operating systems. I'll contact Garmin support to see what they say.

• So, I've just run through the process again and it works! It pairs in the way it should do - paired it in android bluetooth settings first, and then paired it in the garmin app. I can only assume that an update to the garmin connect app in the past week or so has fixed the issue.

• Exact the same problem over here, but phone is running on android 12 instead (motorola G30).
    Garmin connect = V4.59
    Edge 520 plus has the latest update (via Garmin Express)

I have tried to pair the edge to garmin connect (V4.59) on my girlfriend phone (android 11), and it pairs without a problem.

Very frustrating.....

I hope there will be a solution very soon!

• For me this is not the solution unfortunately.

• Yes! I have manualy installed a previous version of Garmin connect (version 4.58.1) = APK and it works again!
    See here number 30:
    forums.garmin.com/.../sync-connection-troubleshooting-guide

• I suspect there is something up with the Garmin Connect app, and although there is similarities, my post was specific to the Edge 520 (not plus) and Android 13 (not 12). Glad you managed to fix your issue in the end.