This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uploading a ride on the garmin edge 520 (fail and fails)

Well i planned a ride on garmin website and then send it to my forerunner 945 and my garmin edge 520+.

At first it seemed fine, my only issue that i could neither change the name of my trip (which then was no-title) , neither tell the application to use bike-friendly road with grade less than 10% (my region is full of 15% grade roads).

But well nothing is ever perfect.

So i navigated to the navigate menu and took the trip sub menu and i found my no-title trip there, weirdly it had a duration (which is crazy).

So i loaded it, and then the edge started to "compute" something at a spend of 1% /3sec  which meant 300 seconds for the full computation, so i waited. I stopped it and relaunched to see if the computation had been saved ...but NO.

So i investigated and it seems that the file you upload misses a lot of information and that you need a TCX file containing more info.

Some tutorial (not even by garmin since apparently it is normal to wait 3mn before starting  a trip)  explained that i had to download  the TCX file (which i did) and then to copy it with the Garmin connected with USB.

Apparently the location is in ./Garmin/NewFiles/mytrip.tcx

So i did that my the file never get copied, i let the PC a lot of time to sync and used the save eject procedure.

The file that had been uploaded using the Garmin connect app is a .fit and it is 5 time smaller than the TCX.

Looking further i understood that i actually need a GPX file.

But garmin website does no generate GPX files.

To summarze the situation :

1) - Garmin send  .fit  files almost no info to its devices, those then need to construct the full trip which take forever (3-4mn for a 60 km trip). 

2) Garmin does something fishy with its device connected as mass storage devices since i copied several time a file that just got deleted without me asking anything.

3) Garmin does not provide the GPX files that are actually need by devices like the Garmin edges 520.

Note that 1,2 make the wireless sync useless for people who want to use their own trip and garmin trip planner.

I truly hope that Garmin will adress 1,2,3 but while waiting i would like to find alternatives, is there any free solution to generate GPX files?

Quick conclusion : I truly love my Forerunner 945, it does so many things, has good ergonomy but on the Edge 520 plus the interface is totally non intuitive.

I cannot even find how to put the device in sleep more (if someone knows)  so when i go for a ride i need to switch the Garmin 1mn in advance.

ANother minor issue is that the interface is so terrible that i often starts an activity without willing, and then i need like 3 click to cancel and delete it.

When it is connected to my ebike it often generate a warning that syas "bike battery is low) (when the battery is 100% or 80%) and ther eis no way to remove this warning.

I m serioulsy considering going back to my phone.

• Launch Garmin Connect on your computer and open your course.

Click on the 3 dots at the bottom of the course details pane to see more options including Edit and GPX download.

Select Edit and you’ll be able to change the file name and also the target speed in the pace calculator tab.

GPX versions are usually only needed for devices that don’t support FIT or TCX files, so I’m not sure that using GPX will make any difference.

If multiple files won’t copy, make sure that the unique part of the file name is within the first 15 characters or only one will be copied.

I don’t have a 520+ so I can’t help with its specific navigation settings.