This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 520 will not upload rides - at my wit's end

I have been having an occasional issue with my Garmin 520 not syncing rides with Garmin Connect for awhile now. It only happened once in a while, but recently its happening most of the time. I was recently away on vacation, and could not get rides uploaded. We had 3 laptops between the people there but all of them were "work" laptops which prohibit connecting USB devices so I was unable to upload rides for several days until I got home.

To remedy this, I have tried nearly everything. Phone software up to date. Garmin Connect up to date. Garmin Edge 520 software up to date. Restart the iPhone 7. Restart the Garmin 520. Uninstall and reinstall Garmin Connect. Delete rides around the ride that won't upload. Create and save some new fake rides (those sync immediately without even asking). I even tried syncing to Garmin Connect on a different device. If I ever get to the point where I have to manually sync (select Upload Ride on the 520), the ride will never upload. No matter what I do, it will start to upload, the green dot appears on the 520, but then it makes the circle rapidly, and that's when I know I am doomed -> Upload Failed after about 30 seconds.

I am about to try some drastic measures. I am going to remove all the rides and courses, save off my profile info and do a device reset. Seems crazy but I don't know what else to do.

Gary

• Further update: The fix described a few days ago really did not do anything. For like 3 or 4 rides, I was able to get rides uploaded, but only after turning the devices on and off. Yesterday I was stuck 100% again. I contacted support again and was told to do the following:

Upgrade to iOS 14.7.1 (normally I would think this could be the problem but I have also had issues with other devices besides my phone)

Delete the following folders on the Garmin 520 device and reboot. Activities, Courses, New Files, Workouts

Once copying my ride back to the device it uploaded right away.

At this point I have no confidence the problem is fixed but this is a good sign.

• I am ready to declare this problem solved. The latest changes made have worked. I've had zero problems uploading the last 8-10 rides.

• This problem is back and it won't go away. I have deleted the above folders on the 520 probably 10 times now. Happens nearly every ride now. At first I thought maybe it was with FIT files with lots of points (long rides), but then a simple 20 mile ride today will not upload. I then created a minimum 0.01 ride and it did upload. Really annoyed about this. I feel like it's a software thing. The Garmin 520 software is from 2019, and the Garmin Connect app on my phone keeps getting updated. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

• FYI

checklist (iPhone) which works for me:

Phone> Settings> Bluetooth>BLE_Edge520 = connected

Phone> Settings> Bluetooth>BT_Edge520 = connected

Phone> Settings> Connect> Bluetooth = On

Phone> Settings> Connect> Mobile Data = On or Off as desired (Off means WiFi only)

Phone> Connect App> Garmin Devices> Edge 520>Device settings> Auto Upload = On

If your settings match these, then it might be a case of backing up all the contents of the settings, sports, locations, records, weight & totals folders, reset the device, restore the backups, delete the device from the GC App and phone and then start all over again.