This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 520 has delay before starting to record distance.

My Garmin 520 has started an annoying pattern.  I turn it on, it finds the satellites and gets to the start screen.  I push the start button and start to ride.  The time starts recording immediately, but the distance doesn't start for 1-2 minutes, so I typically lose .3-.6 miles at the beginning of a ride.  Seems to work fine otherwise.

I am up to date on firmware and have done a reset.

Very annoying.

• Hi,

No recording when starting to ride would indicate that the GPS is not ready, which may take a couple of minutes or so after startup. The recording timer will start as soon as the start button is pressed, which is normal.

If you’re getting the GPS ready beep & message before starting then the problem is elsewhere.

• Since you've stated it finds the GPS signals at startup.... I would create a screen on you 520 that displays GPS accuracy and Signal Strength.  I would monitor that for a few rides and see if anything unusual pops up.

For the record, I've experienced your same problem but it only happens on about 1 of 25 rides and usually connects shortly after starting a ride.  I don't let it get to me but I do see how it can be annoying.