This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using a Garmin 520 Edge Plus bought in the UK in Australia

Hi All

A few months ago I bought a brand new Garmin Edge 520 Plus from an online retailer based in the UK.  I live in Australia.

In fact, I had no idea the unit was being shipped to me from the UK when I ordered it.  I honestly thought the retailer was Australian.  

Since receiving the unit and using it for about a month, I have noticed some issues using turn by turn navigation.  Navigation appears, but the maps aren't rendered in as detailed or "rich" a manner as I've been seeing in the reviews on Youtube and the Internet.   At best, I see a few sparse lines representing roads.  I do not see all the other details that some of these reviews suggest the Edge 520 Plus is capable of displaying.    

Also, if I am off-route by even the slightest bit, it seems that the unit offers very little information to get me back on track.  Just says "Off Course" and leaves me guessing.

An article I recently came across by DC Rainmaker suggests that a Garmin sold in one part of the world cannot be used in another part of the world, as it won't have the correct maps installed.

Is this true, and have I made a mistake in purchasing this Garmin from the UK?

Are the above issues related to this unit being a UK/Europe model being used in Australia?

Is there a solution to the above problems?  Can the maps stored internally within the unit be replaced with Australian maps?   I really would like to use the navigation feature more.

Kind regards