This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sync Failed Message MessageWriteError (message: "exhausted retries")

Hi, 

I'm experiencing this problem when syncing Edge 520 and iPhone XS using the latest Garmin Connect iOS app. 

I tried resetting the device to default settings, removing all maps and activities to free the space, reinstalling the app. But the issue still exists and sync does not work. 

Can you please let me know what I should do to be able to have my Edge automatically synced again after I finish an activity? This used to work in the past, and I haven't done any changes in the app or on the device.

As you can see on the screenshots, I have Forerunner 935 watch, disabled its connection to make sure it does not introduce any troubles with Edge connection. 

Thanks. 

• I think this solved the issue. Naturally it was after I had factory reset following the above (hence the I think) lol. Thanks! 

• That also works for me on my Fenix 5x, but this it not a permanent fix. The problem occurs again after the next activity. Having to do the same operation after each worktout is not really a "voila"-solution! And in the meantime you are missing all notifications as pointed out in a previous post. I believe this must be a problem with the app that should be fixed!

• Garmin customer support just helped me solve this with my vivoactive 3, but the solution seems like it would overlap with most device. Just posting to hopefully help someone else in future!

1. Go into the Garmin Connect mobile app on your phone.
      • On an Android phone, tap the 3 bars in the top left.
      • On an iPhone, tap More in the bottom right.
    2. Then select Garmin Devices.
    3. Tap on the Vivoactive 3  at the top of the page.  If it says "No devices paired," skip to step 6.
    4. Tap the 3 dots in the top right.
    5. Tap Remove Device, then remove again to confirm.
    6. Go into your phone's bluetooth settings.
      • On an Android phone, tap on the gear to the right of the Vivoactive 3 Music, if the Vivoactive 3 Music is listed, then tap unpair.
      • On an iPhone, tap the (i) to the right of the Vivoactive 3 , if the Vivoactive 3  is listed, then tap unpair.
    7. Once the Vivoactive 3  is unpaired, turn bluetooth off.
    8. Turn your phone off.  This clears the bluetooth cache from the phone.
    9. On your watch, hold the side button down until the screen turns black.  Once the screen turns black, push the same button for a second and a half to turn it back on.
    10. Turn your phone back on, then turn your bluetooth back on in your phone settings.
    11. Open Garmin Connect.
      • On an Android phone, tap the 3 bars in the top left.
      • On an iPhone, tap More in the bottom right.
    12. Tap Garmin Devices.
    13. Tap Add a Device.
    14. Tap Browse all compatible devices, tap Vivo, then tap Vivoactive 3. Do not tap the vivoactive 3.
    15. When you see Start at the bottom of the screen, do not hit start yet. You want to have the watch in "pair" mode before you start syncing with Garmin Connect.
    16. On your watch, hold the watch face down to get to your settings menu.
    17. Swipe down to the bottom.  Tap on Settings.
    18. Swipe down, then tap on Phone.
    19. Tap on Pair Phone, then on your phone, tap Start.
    20. Follow the prompts to complete the pairing process.