This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 520 Plus always off course

I am using a Gamin 520 plus for the first time ever. I have created a route in the Garmin Connect App and then sent it to the 520 from my Andorid phone. The course shows up fine and the map is exactly as I planned it.

When I tried to ride the route I was expecting to get turn instructions. I selected the route by choosing Navigate - Courses - Selecting course. The course loads and I get options to Ride, see map etc. I checked the map and it was correct, then return to get back to options,, "Ride" is highlighted and so I pressed the enter button on the top rh side of teh 520. I get a screen showing ride data and then scrolled to the map. There's an arrow showing where I am and teh street I'm on is named at the top of teh screen, no course line is shown. S

o I reste and do teh whole thing again but insted of using enter I press teh Start key on the bottom of teh 520. I get a message telling me I close to teh start and would I like to start anyway, I say yes. I get the data screen up but again scroll to the map. I can see where I am and teh course line is right in front of me but I'm getting a message saying that I'm Off Course. I completed the whole ride and followed teh course precisely but was "Off Course" the whole time. 

I'm really disappointed with this - I bought the 520 specifically to help me work out new routes and to build journeys so that I could eventually take on the LEJOG but at the moment I have no faith in teh device.  Every thread I've looked at so far is 4 or 5 years old and doesn't really help me.  Where am I going wrong and why isn't the user manual more supportive?

• Same problem here for the past 3 weeks since the last upgrade.  I don’t know when they will fix this issue but it is pretty disappointing.

• I've had the same issue with my 520 plus for the last 3 weeks. Created course in Strava, loaded using sync and turn by turn navigation does not work, always saying i'm off course. It does show the trace of the course but I have to constantly look at the computer for the next turn and often miss it. Tried direct load of tcx file in new files directory and same thing. Was working prior and I liked the ConnectIQ app for loading routes from Strava but for some reason they took that away. Totally frustrated.

• I had the same issue with the 520 plus. I partially solved this way: 1) if the route comes from Strava, start the ride directly from the IQ app Strava Route (if you still have it); 2) keep GPS+Galileo or GPS+Glonass active, and not GPS only.

This solved the off route issue for me: I can follow a new route easily and keep the phone in my pocket during the ride.

However, I see a lot of unexpected recalculation happening all the time so I suspect some software update is needed for a full fix.

• Interesting that the ConnectIQ still works.  I've tried starring routes that I've created in Strava to load on the 520 plus during Garmin Express sync and it most of the time it doesn't work even after unstarring/starring again.  What I have found to work is to send the route (created in Strava and synced to Garmin Connect) to the 520+ from Garmin Connect (520+ connected via USB to my computer) and not powering off after detaching from my computer.  All of the courses then seem to load properly as long as I've loaded at least one new course.  If I cycle power on the unit again, none of the courses on the unit will load properly.  Hope they are working on this cause it is a real pain.

• Thanks for that idea, I'll give it a try.  Other people are suggesting this has something to do with software version, I'm running version 5.60 - what are you on?

• I am also using 5.60.

• Fixed in build 5.70. You can manually download it from the 5.70 posting on this forum.

• THanks for this.  I'll get that done today.

• I had the same issue. Was VERY frustrating but can also confirm updating to v5.70 fixes the issue :-D 

• It looks like Garmin is much more responsive to problems than they were a while ago.