This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Turn-by-turn directions and cancelling incident detection both just stopped working after update

Turn-by-turn directions were working great for well over a year.  And, I could also use the Garmin to cancel incident detection.  My Garmin recently received update 5.60 and now turn-by-turn directions no longer appear AND I found out today (upon hitting bumps in a road and then stopping for a traffic light, which triggered incident detection) that I also can no longer cancel incident detection via the Garmin device.  Fortunately, I can cancel incident detection via my phone (and it's a race to dig my phone out of my jersey before it starts contacting people).

So far, the above are the two features that I notice are no longer working after the update.  Courses still work and I can see the trace for my current course and where I am on the course if I bring up the map screen while on a ride; but turn-by-turn directions are not present.  And, time-to-end and distance-to-end of course are also not working (distance to end never updates and time-to-end never displays).  I tried re-downloading a course and it looked like turn-by-turn came back after that; but turn-by-turn did not appear when I refreshed yet another course.

I don't know if this issue is specifically with software update 5.6 or whether there's a different problem that started at around the same time as the update or what.  But the problem exists in either case.  

Any suggestions?  There are other threads asking similar questions; but they are old.  Hence, starting a new thread.  

Thanks.

• I've got the same navigation problem since the 5.60 update, I don't use incident detection so haven't noticed that.  Some routes that were working before don't work now, just says "off course".  Other routes are still working, and I haven't been able to determine what could be the difference between the working routes and the non working routes.  I tried a full "delete everything" reset of the device, but that didn't fix the problem.

• I justy purchased a 520 plus, and the navigation (follow a course) feature is driving me crazy as well since 3 weeks !

• Similar behavior with the courses for me. After 5.6, turn by turn tells me I am off course. Not a problem with Connect, as the same course ran correctly on a 945.

• I have the same problem after the update

• I have the same issue after update.

• I saw a comment on another forum to delete the course from the device and resend via connect. Tested this today and it worked as expected. I am on the latest Connect version and edge firmware 5.60.

• Yes, I've been playing with it and this works, although I'm connecting the unit to my PC, deleting the .fit files from the Garmin/courses folder, then copying my Strava generated .gpx files to the Garmin/NewFiles folder.  The course navigation will work the first time you try it, but it probably won't work after you switch the unit off and back on again, although it sometimes takes 2 or 3 reboots before it fails.  I've started just refreshing all the courses on the unit before each ride.  It would be nice if someone from Garmin could see this problem and fix it, it's pretty inconvenient.

• I've had a very similar issue since my Edge 520 Plus received the 5.60 update on 23rd August.  Essentially, after the update turn by turn navigation just stopped working.  With the 5.60 software, it would load courses that had previously worked fine, it would ask me if I wanted to navigate to the start of the course (as before), but then it would then never detect the start of the course (in the way that it had done before the upgrade with the 'course found' confirmation message), and it would not then give me any turn by turn directions if I started to ride the course.  I tried a number of different courses, all of which had worked fine before the upgrade, and all had the same problem.  So, I did a factory reset on it (pressing the down arrow button continually as the device boots up), and from having tested it on a number of short test courses I have around my local streets, that seems to have fixed the problem and turn by turn navigation is now working again, though I'll need to see how it goes over the next few days on longer courses to know that for sure.  Annoyingly the factory reset wipes all settings and courses, and you've got to re-pair it again with your phone, but you might want to try this if nothing else works for you.  I also have a forerunner 45, and I've had similar issues with needing to do factory resets on that after Garmin software updates in order to get the device fully working again.

• Same problem. Turn by turn navigation stopped working since last software update.

• update to newest 5.70. I did and the issue was resolved.