This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Outdoor rides recorded as "Indoor" when GPS off

I have one Profile set up which I always use.. The default value for "Default Ride Type" is set as "Road". But when the ride is uploaded to Training Peaks or Garmin Connect it is indicated as Indoor. I have GPS turned Off because I ride familiar roads and don't need navigation assistance. How do I get the ride to be correctly indicated (Road), as set up in my Profile, with GPS "Off"?

• I’m curious as to your reasoning for turning the GPS off. Without the recorded GPS time and position data, the device won’t know that it has been anywhere, so I would think it’s defaulting to indoor mode. Navigation assistance is quite a separate function to having GPS on.

• As I said, having GPS on serves me no purpose and it does fill up memory faster and run down the battery faster, no positives, all negatives. The device knows it's been somewhere because it has time and distance data, and the altitude data it generates. It doesn't, or shouldn't, need yet another data set in order not to override the default ride type I've specified. What's the purpose even having a Default Ride Type if it's going to do what it wants and not what the user wants?

• Obviously you need to have the GPS activated to record the movement between point A and B. And even very little battery when having it active. You must learn to configure it before 

• I turn GPS off generally because I don't trust the indicated speed on my Garmin 1030 plus, often times I know for a fact that I was going faster than indicated. My Garmin speed sensor seems to be much more accurate, especially when riding with lots of trees covering the road overhead. I should have the option to record as road riding on Garmin connect with GPS off.