This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 520 Plus Very Slow TBT Navi

I have a Garmin Edge 520 Plus installed with Openstreetmaps ( http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ ) for the Ontario region as the unit is from the EU.For some reason, it takes forever to load TBT navigation for courses set in Strava. This sometimes could take over 10 min (I could be riding the course halfway and still not done, even when it's done it would calculate again from 0%). For some extra info, this is only for certain routes. The slower load happened on a route where I wasn't given street names on the turn by turn navigation. Perhaps the map doesn't have the street name of that area and hence slower?
Anyone have a similar issue? Not sure if it is because of Openstreetmaps or the unit itself. If it's the maps, I suppose I would need to purchase the Garmin North America map. 
  • My 520+ is slow routing my courses as well. I also use OSM since I'm in Europe with a US-purchased unit. I've read the processing in the 520+ is much less than the newer 530 and therefore significantly slower with navigation. I've learned initiate my navigation a few minutes before I start and hope that I don't deviate from the course during the ride.

• In my experience 520+ is just slow. I use the European cycling maps that came with the device. For a one hour long ride, the the TBT calculation takes about 20-30min.