This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Display course and data. How???

I ride with an Edge 520. Normally I have this set to show ride data - speed, distance, times etc. I know I can follow a pre set route on the unit, but how do I switch between looking at the course and looking at my ride data? I want to do this on the move so really I'm looking for a single button operation, buttry as I maight, I cannot work out how to do it.

Is this possible, and if so is it easy?

My options seem to be to ride with the 520 for data purposes and mount an eTrex on the stem to show route info. Is that the best solution?

• How did you sort it? I'm looking to do the same thing.

• Hi, No I didn't sort it. Nobody had an answer. I bypassed the problem by using my eTrex 30x as a navigation tool. It means riding with two units, but the eTrex is far better at navigation than the 520. TBT just works. I tried all sorts of methods on the 520 but non were to my liking. All seemed a bit hit and miss.

eTrex gives ample warning of turns etc, but of course that all depends on how good the route being followed is plotted. I have worked out my own way of doing things and it just does what it says on the tin.

I just use the 520 for ride data.

• Under Settings>Activity Profiles>Data Screens, make sure map display is turned on for the profile(s) that you use. You should be then able to scroll through your data screens and map with the up & down buttons.

• But that doesn't get round two basic faults with the navigation on 520. 

1) You have  to constantly switch between screens. You have to remember which button to press, which way to press it and how many times to press it, all whilst riding along. Not altogether satisfactory. 

2) The actual navigation is a big iffy. The maps are far from perfect and TBT is so hit and miss that it is not worth bothering with. Frequently turns are missed or warnings are only given after the turn has been passed. 

Thenavigation may be fine for social riders pooling around but for anyone doing a serious ride it is worse than useless. 

• Fair enough. I only use one data screen, so scrolling isn’t an issue for me. I usually follow a pre-planned route and don’t need TBT for as cue points pop up just before the turn. The only time it is a problem is when 2 cues are very close together.