This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is my Gear ratio?

Hi Guys!

I’m using the Edge 520 with Tacx Neo 2T and vector 3 pedals. When in the trainers setting I’m asked to set the gear ratio. I honestly don’t have ANY idea on what number that is. I’m riding 36-52 front and 11-28 in the rear. 

Also, I’m riding Specialized 700x26c wheels but that option is not showing in the circumference charts. What number should I use there?

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks! 

:) 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Will Garmin ever answer this question? Did you find an answer to this TMan?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Will Garmin ever answer this question? Did you find an answer to this TMan?

• Front chainring divided by cassette. If you are riding in the 52 chainring up front for example and 11 in the back this would be 52/11 = 4.72 ratio

• It depends on which chain ring and cassette ring  you ride with on the trainer. In ERG mode, you typically don't change gears. So, you ideally have the chain on the smaller front ring (36), and the back chain in the middle of the 11-28 cassette, which is at 17 teeth. So, your gear ratio is 36/17 = 2.117.

You also have to set the wheel size - which for a 700c 25 config is 2105mm. You can look up the various sizes online.

Together, cadence, gear ratio, and wheel size will let Garmin figure out your "speed" and "distance" traveled and add it to the workout. Otherwise, you have no way of estimating the speed and distance as it maps to the real world.

• Thanks for all the feedback guys! Much appreciated! :)