This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Per activity profile data recording interval

This is more a feature request, I think it would be nice to be able to set the data recording interval (1 sec, smart) for every activity profile, so I can setup an activity profile for training and have data every second and a touring activity profile with smart data recording without having to change it through system settings or simply forgetting to change it.

• What is the benefit of dropping the recording rate when touring? It will not reduce battery usage and storage space for activity files is not really an issue.

• When touring I ride for approx 8 hours, stop several times for rest and eat. There is lot of unnecessary data in the files.

If your point is valid, then why have the smart data recording option in the first place?

• Smart recording only saves storage space and possibly synchronization time for long activities. Historically this was helpful on devices with limited storage. Given that modern devices have plenty of storage, I agree there is little point in using smart recording nowadays.

• I've compared SoC of activities using smart recording vs 1s and using smart recording the battery last longer,

My test are not very extensive, statistically significant or under controlled conditions but here are the times it took to discharge 70% battery in three different activities:

6:56:06 Smart recording (nice temperature day)

5:40:03 mix of 1:23:29@1s and 4:16:34@smart recording (very hot day)

4:16:21 at 1s (nice temperature day)

I don't know how garmin implemented the smart recording feature but I know that MTK GPS chipsets (the one used in 520+) have low power modes where they report less gps data with some accuracy tradeoff and lower current consumption.

Also there is another type of activity where smart recording makes sense, hiking. Do you want me to buy another device for hiking?

• Have you (or other person) verified your claim about battery life?, read my other comment.