This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power Meter and Smart Trainer connected same time

Hi

I have two questions regarding the use of a power meter with a smart trainer:

1) I own a Direto smart trainer, in my tri bike I also have a Power2Max PM. I have them both paired to the 520, and when I do a workout, the two are connected. Which source of power is the Edge showing? Power readings from the power meter o from the smart trainer? I think that´s fom the PM.I can connect the smart trainer as individual sensors also (Power, Vel/Cadence, etc), but I have it configured as smart trainer.

2) When doing a workout with wattage targes and both are connected, what source of power does the Edge use? If it uses the power meter, does it control the resistance from the trainer in order to achieve that target? or it uses the power readings from the trainer itself?

Thank in advance

Horacio

• #1: it should give you a message which power meter sensor wants to use. "Multiple pm sensors found , wanna switch from A to B" or similar message.  The Edge can show only one power, so depends on selection. The smart trainer sensor pairing needs for controlling (and data distribution also, but if a different pm is activated, thats power data will be shown, cad and spd will come from smart trainer)

#2 Question, what kind of software do you use for workouts? Garmin inbuilt workout or Zwift or similar?

With Garmin only you control the smart trainer resistance by its own power meter sensor, with Zwift or TR you can do a "power match", with an additional power meter you can "overwrite" the smart trainer power.

But if You have Direto, You dont need to use the P2M, the Direto is same accurate as P2M, just You must calibrate the trainer every week after 10mins warmup with the Elite app for perfect meausuring (without it the Direto could overreport the power even +50watts offset). If You wanna make comparison for both power, i can give You tips, but normally these are within 1-2watts.

• Thank you very much, that`s what I thought, that although it connected to both devices, the power meter has preference as power reading device, and power control was done with trainer´s own power meter.

I know that I can use powermatch in TR and Zwift, but I don´t use them, that´s why I was interested in using Edge own built in if possible.

I`ve made comparisons between the Direto and P2M, after calibrating both, and with 2 Direto units were the same, they read between 5-10w higher than P2M (it should be exactly opposite) at lower power 100-180w, but at higher power 250-300w, the difference is little 2/4w.

• Direto's calibration a little tricky, did You warm it up with 10min @150-200w and make zero offset calibration then? (the Power2Max has autocalibration when you are stop pedaling for 3secs ). And the Direto has a factory calibration number, on the paper box or under the unit, a 4digits number , if the calibration number is different than this factory calibration number, You should tighten its belt. What kind of P2M do You have? TypeS or NG/NGEco? how is the room temp during the test, absolute constant or is there any window/door opened? 

• Is there a possibility to do a "power match" and "overwriter" the power of the trainer and use the power of the powermeter while doing Edge based workouts. 

• With Edge , no (it can't handle 2 power sources and can't manage it). Only with 3rd party apps, like Zwift or TrainerRoad

• That's a pity.

Any idea of they will do some software update on both Edge and neo 2t, especially now they are untherneath the same Garmin Company...