This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 extended display

Anyone know if Garmin have any plans for making extended display available on edge 520?? I recently purchased a forerunner 945 so it would be fantastic if edge 520 had extended display mode!! Both are expensive pieces of tech and 520 is reasonably new so it's beyond me why it doesn't have it. For triathletes using edge 520 in a race is pointless as the triathlon function on forerunner 945 allows accurate recording of transition times along with the cycle, however, using forerunner makes it very difficult to see speed, other stats, etc. while cycling due to it being on my wrist. 

• I wouldn't count on it being added to the 520.  That said, even though the 520 plus has the extended display I do not use that mode for my triathlons.  I find I want more information on the screen during a race than the 4 fields (+2 fixed fields) provide.  I use the 945 on my wrist (and 935 before I had the 945) to record the whole race, transitions, etc., and I use the 520 plus for the bike to be able to see all of the fields I am interested in on the bike during the race.  After the race, I discard the recording on the 520 plus since I have the "real" data on my 945.

The only downside to this is that I cannot see the total race time on the 520 plus while I am riding.  Instead, I put that on the main bike screen on my 945 during a race so if I need to take see it I can glance on my watch while on the bike, but honestly cannot remember when I last looked at it during a race.

• I also have Edge520+ and Fenix6 and the same dilema. With fenix6 I have much more data from biking activity. But extended display is not true "mirror" from Fenix to Edge. It is just first screen from Fenix6 activity and two fixed fields. So I think, better way to use is your system. Start activity on both (Fenix and Edge) and after finish, just delete Edge data.  It has advantage, that I can use Edge either for navigation or for strava segments. and also I see much more information on edge.

But, what about sensors? did you try to use cadence/speed sensor on both devices (edge+945) at the same time? 

thank you

• Sensors are no problem.  As long as they are ANT+ sensors you can connect to as many devices as possible.  I have a power meter, Varia radar and heart rate strap and all three connect to both watch and Edge 520+ with no problem.

Since my post, I've also replaced my FR945 with Fenix 6 - works great!

• And you are still using Fenix 6 as primary and edge as complementary device? 
  • Yes, I like having more information and larger maps while on my bike but still want all of the metrics to be calculated by my watch since that is what I use for all other activities.  In triathlons, this prevents me from having to take the watch off of my wrist as well during the bike split.