This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 520+ won't accept TCX or GPX, only FIT files

Pulling hair out on this one. I'm a retailer, sold a customer a 520+ and she can't load files from Ride With GPX. I verified that GPX & TCX files placed into the NewFiles directory don't work.. they stay in the directory and never transfer to courses. But a FIT file works just fine.

Reset the computer in various ways. No difference. Only thing I haven't done is a complete wipe/rewrite file directory. Not sure how that's done on the 520+. What should I be looking for? Thanks!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
Northern California
  • Hello. You can put TCX and GPX files in Garmin Directory, in the Case that says Newfiles. The Edge 520+ do the rest. It converts in fit files. Sorry my english.
  • Mike,

I just downloaded a .TCX file from ridewithgps.com, copied it onto the newfiles directory of my 520+, and on restarting, it was available a course (depending on the length of the route, it can take a while).

But I totally get how frustrating this would be on behalf of a customer.

Do you have a link to the file, just in case there was something funky happening with that particular route?
  • Mike,

I just downloaded a .TCX file from ridewithgps.com, copied it onto the newfiles directory of my 520+, and on restarting, it was available a course (depending on the length of the route, it can take a while).

But I totally get how frustrating this would be on behalf of a customer.

Do you have a link to the file, just in case there was something funky happening with that particular route?

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work, and that's how it does work on every other Garmin I've tried. But not this one. It simply doesn't convert any of the files in the NEWFILES directory. No matter how long you leave it. Same files work in several other computers. Files from ridewithgps & strava routes. Tried really short rides, medium rides, and a long ride. Same thing in all cases.
  • Update: Called Garmin and they told me that it's normal for it to accept nothing but FIT files. Huh? When did this happen? Is that everyone else's experience?

Specifically, that for the 520 Plus, putting a TCX or GPX into the NEWFILES directory does not add a course into the computer. It will just sit there. The only thing that works anymore is a FIT file That's what they told me. Sorry, but this doesn't seem right to me. Anyone here have a contact at Garmin that can confirm this? And yes, I tried TCX & GPX files from a variety of sources, including ridewithgps and Strava. Nothing worked.

EVEN NEWER UPDATE- Another Edge 520 Plus works perfectly with the exact same files. Original unit on left (the one that isn't working), new unit off the shelf on right that works as expected. Both fed the exact same files.

• My Edge 520+ accepts GPX, TCX and FIT files created in Plotaroute, Strava etc.. As you have done, I just drop them into the NEWFILES folder, reboot the device and they appear as Courses.

Seems to contradict what you have been told by Garmin.....

• mikejacoubowsky - I am sorry for the misinformation. As you found out from your test, that is not correct. The Edge 520 Plus will accept .gpx, .tcx, and .fit files.
  • mikejacoubowsky - I am sorry for the misinformation. As you found out from your test, that is not correct. The Edge 520 Plus will accept .gpx, .tcx, and .fit files.

I've sent a request to my Garmin inside rep to see if he can move this along and get a replacement unit sent to me (or find someone who can figure out what's wrong with it). It was very odd hearing that the unit shouldn't be expected to work with GPX and TCX files place in the NEWFILES folder. I've been using Garmins since the Edge 205 so I'm usually pretty up to date on how they're supposed to work. Made no sense to me that suddenly what's always worked no longer does on the 520 Plus, but I try to respect that tech support people are better trained than me in a particular product.
  • mikejacoubowsky - I would recommend deleting the Courses folder and the New Files Folder on the Edge, unplug it from the computer and allow it to boot to the Ride screen. Then plug it back into the computer and put the files in the New Files folder.
  • i seem to be having exactly the same issue with my edge 520 . bought it second hand and put files on it fine to start with , but now nothing shows up in courses . did you find a solution to the problem.

• i have a edge 1030, exactly the same issue, have been using GPX files no issue. Tried to upload a GPX from Komoot last week, wouldnt show in the Garmin (but can see on laptop). Tried tonight with a GPX from gpsroutes.co.uk and the 1030 cannot see that. Tried with a FIT file, BINGO that works, can see it on the 1030. Has Garmin made some strange update that now means our devices do NOT work with GPX files....when thats been the common format for years?/?