This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 randomly shutting off while riding

Hi,

2 times within the last 2 months my 520 has shut off during a ride. Well over 70% on the battery. I can turn it back on without any problems and it'll stay on the rest of the ride. Each time it was at a different time & distance. Rail trail pavement riding.

Do I need to do a reset? Call Germins support? Is it checking out and I should be looking at an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
  • Tony,

Same thing happened to me a few times when I was using GPS only (Firmware 12.1 & GPS 3.1).
    I’ve since been using using GPS + Glonass and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Peter
  • adjemt - Please check your email for further clarification. We may need to escalate your problem but I will need some more information to do so.
  • Hi,

This weekend i had the same problem. During my ride, the edge 520 shut down one time. My battery was over 50%.

It was the first time that this happen to me. I restarted the unit and can continue with the course normally. I always use GPS + Glonnass.

I hope that this problem was a puntual problem.

• adjemt - Please check your email for further clarification. We may need to escalate your problem but I will need some more information to do so.

Hi,

Sorry I haven't had the opportunity to check back. I do know I haven't received an email regarding this however. You may have the wrong email. How should I contact you?

Tony
  • Tony,

Same thing happened to me a few times when I was using GPS only (Firmware 12.1 & GPS 3.1).
    I’ve since been using using GPS + Glonass and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Peter

I'll have to check that. I use the magnetless speed and cadence sensors, so I never really paid a heck of a lot of attention to that setting. I'd get the map at the end of the ride so I was (until it's shutting off) happy.

Not sure of the firmware levels; I'll review that also.

Thanks.

Tony
  • I had the same issue with my Garmin shutting off, usually in the first few minutes of the ride. It started occurring after I enabled Strava Live Segments. I disabled Strava Live Segments and my Garmin 520 no longer shuts off during rides.
  • Have had the same problem. It is intermittent. Garmin 520 just shuts off but not on every ride. Usually I can restart it but today it died again after the restart. And, really oddly, when I plugged it in it opened at the point in my ride - around 7k - where it shut down. I saved it to Strava and it showed that the ride had occurred 4 days earlier than today’s date. 

• I have now gone through 4. Garmin 520 - all generously replaced by Garmin Support - but I still have issues, yesterday my latest version of the 520 did it again.

• hi Tony, Did you figure out why your Garmin was randomly shutting down? Mine is doing that and the software is up to date.

• Same thing is happening to me.  I bought my 520 edge plus just over a year ago and no problems until this season.  It has done exactly what everyone has said previously...at least 4 to 6 times this season.  Very, very frustrating.  Not sure what to do.  I would appreciate it if Garmin could advise specifically what I need to do.