This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Firmware 12.30 update - GPS firmware update

I updated my 520 to 12.30 firmware today, as part of the update there was also a 'GPS Firmware' update. This seems to have screwed my device, it no longer can get a GPS lock and every power power on after 30secs it says it is performing a GPS Firmware update (which runs for 10-20secs and goes directly from 0 to 100 before going back to the menu display). I have tried a Factory reset as well as downgrading the firmware back to 12.20 and upgrading again none of which have brought it back to life.... has anyone else had this issue?
  • Hi Alan

Thanks for advise, tried deleting files, did not work.

What is interesting is the software version is 12.50 but the GPS version reflects 0.00.

I see in an earlier post GPS version is 3.10, is this the latest? Where do I get it?

All assistance appreciated
  • See posting #8 in this thread.
  • Hi Guys!

Here is my story maybe can help others, how to get GPS flashing icon away and get a working gps on edge 520

Situation:

I had version 12.50 software installed, but with flashing gps icons at the top (gps was not working). No more updates throught garmin express, so i thought i have everything updated to the latest one and there is no more thing to do, but thats not true. After every start i had a "updating the gps firmware" message with a small animation, but it looked like the updating always failed.

1. First, fromat your garmin with your PC. Dont forget to uncheck the fastformat option. Save everything you need, then do it. Edge will rebuild himself after the first reboot so dont panic.

2. With garmin connect update your software

3. check your GPS, and software version. As i said i had 12.50 already, but the GPS version was still 0.00 (how come? still dont understand).

4. From the previous page of this forum/topic download the linked .edc file. The guy mentioned that it should be in the garmin/remoteSW folder. I did not have this folder!!??? (i did a factory reset already, and did format the garmin through my pc before with fastformat option unchecked!!! So it is also important, why i did not have basic folders others have?? )

5. create that garmin/remoteSW folder, then put the edc file inside, and go restart (at the next boot your "updating the gps firmware" stuff should count from 0 to 100 like it is really doing something

6. after reboot the icon will still flashing thats ok

7. go out from the house and leave the garmin ther for 2-5 mins to let him found the stellite

this is how it worked for me, hope could help some of you
  • Here is a link to the GPS software https://www.dropbox.com/s/uobzqoenzf...61900.GCD?dl=0

Place this file in the Garmin\RemoteSW folder and see if the Edge uses this.

Thanks aweatherall - this worked and saved me much grief!! No need to format or manually alter any other files.

I ran into this problem after the 12.60 update. After the update my Edge 520 would try to do a GPS firmware upgrade each time it was turned on - going from 0% done to 100% with no count up visible, and the GPS icon would just flash between 1 and 2 bars trying to lock. The install of GPS firmware 3.10 from the link counted up from 0%-100% as you would expect.

• Follow up to my last post where I successfully installed GPS firmware 3.10.

Immediately after the 3.10 installation I connected my Edge 520 to Garmin Express. Lo and behold it notified of me an available update - GPS firmware 3.30!! Clicking on the details link for firmware takes you here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7331#Instruct

So now you know where to go to get GPS firmware updates, a separate site from the Edge software. I'm guessing that I got a corrupt download of 3.30 the first time as being the root cause of why my GPS stopped working. I took the chance to install 3.30 knowing I could fallback to 3.10. Long story short - it worked, I'm up and running on 3.30 now.

Good luck everyone.
  • GPS firmware 3.30!! Clicking on the details link for firmware takes you here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7331#Instruct

So now you know where to go to get GPS firmware updates, a separate site from the Edge software.

I'm not seeing any file downloads there.

I'm stuck with this problem after the update to 12.60 today. Have tried the factory reset, hard reset, deleted EPO file, added the file to RemoteSW. No luck.

• Thank you so much. This issue had been driving me crazy. I went on a new ride today and discovered that there's no map data for it. Had the "updating GPS firmware" issue ever since I did the recent updates. It's fixed now!!! Shame on Garmin for creating this problem.
  • Hi Mate, I have the same issue on my sons 520. Can I please get a copy of the file you posted. Kind Regard Gary

• Hi Hardserve, i, looking for a copy of the 3.10 file. I have the same issue. Thanks

• My son's 520 updates 13.00 firmware and now will not get a GPS lock. I have try everything I have found on this form and other forms to do with this issue, with now luck. Lastly I Formatted the 520 in the same way you do on a drive used on a computer. After turn it back on it update and the RemoteSW folder was gone, still will not connect to GPS. I have created the fold. try to update. nothing in folder. Has anyone got the files out of this folder they can post for me please?