This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 - Invalid Course error...

Hi,

Looking for some help on what might be wrong with my Edge 520...whenever I create and load a course through Garmin Connect on attempting to start the course I get an Invalid Course error, I also find that if i try and load a course from Strava (both TCX & GPX) through the NewFiles folder it never appears on the unit. Have tried factory resets and loading up different maps (currently got an OpenStreetMaps map loaded)...any ideas?

The unit has always behaved this way (I won it in a competition and tried to load my first course after owning it for about a year) and I'm at a loss on how to fix it...

Thanks
  • Hi,

Looking for some help on what might be wrong with my Edge 520...whenever I create and load a course through Garmin Connect on attempting to start the course I get an Invalid Course error, I also find that if i try and load a course from Strava (both TCX & GPX) through the NewFiles folder it never appears on the unit. Have tried factory resets and loading up different maps (currently got an OpenStreetMaps map loaded)...any ideas?

The unit has always behaved this way (I won it in a competition and tried to load my first course after owning it for about a year) and I'm at a loss on how to fix it...

Thanks

I've got exactly the same problem. I can't even make a course from yesterdays traning.
  • Invalid Course error

I have the same problem. I can't load any courses. There are a collection but when you try to load them it says invalid course error. You can't delete them either - they're like Zombie courses. How do you fix this? BTW, is the courses file within the directory supposed to be a flat file with 0kb or is it supposed to be a folder?

This feature used to work about a year ago but doesn't seem to work now.
  • I had the same problem, factory reset or back to old firmware don't solve the problem.

I corrected the problem by loading an old backup of my garmin...
  • I have a similar problem. I don't have a back up of my Edge 520 though. Very frustrating.
    • Any solution without using a back up?
    • Is there a backup from someone else available?
  • Solved.

Formatted the Garmin and it worked again (using the standard format setting that Windows suggested, except not a quick format). The file structure is recreated by the garmin after formatting. The only two files which don't reappear are the based map (gmapbmap.img) and Garmintriangletm.icon. Some people on other forums seem to think some more files don't reappear, but I didn't have this problem.

This fixed uploading and viewing courses - which stopped working on my 520 (admittedly haven't used [played? run? navigated?] a course yet, so maybe premature, but invalid course errors have disappeared).
  • I am having exactly the same problem on my Edge 1000.
    In my case everything worked fine until a couple of days ago but since then there I have no way of loading a new course. TCX or GPX files copied to NewFiles just stay there and never appear as courses. If I send a course directly from Garmin Connect (whether that course is created within Garmin Connect or uploaded from elsewhere) then the course appears on the device but I get an Invalid Course error when I try to open it and the device ends up in an inconsistent state where you can't properly delete the courses.

I tried a hard reset and then, under guidance from Garmin tech. support, did a complete reformat of the drive as per post from Jeffersaurus but this has not resolved the problem.

Seems like something in the PROM has been corrupted but the factory reset and format do not impact this. I can't find anyway to do a full factory reset (i.e. back to the state the device was in when I bought it) which I guess would solve the problem if I then uploaded to latest software version.

Did you ever find a solution?
  • I've just put a post about this titled 'Invalid course. Delete?'

Basically, the courses file on the Garmin is corrupted. You need to do a factory reset (hold lap & start/stop buttons whilst restarting - this will wipe everything). Then:
    1. Plug into your computer
    2. In Finder, open the Garmin - I didn't have a Courses folder; it had been replaced by a Courses file only - delete it
    3. Eject your device & restart
    4. A new Courses folder will be created & the problem fixed (hopefully!)
  • I was trying it for days without finding the error. Thank you so much ch4rl1e!

I followed your instructions: deleted the course file, ejected the device, the garmin 520 edge recreated the courses folder. I then transferred the .GPX-file via garmin connect and now it works beautifully fine!

• Thank you! I followed instructions above and now works fine.

• Perfect! This worked! Thank you.