This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device stuck loading profiles on boot

My Edge 520 won't boot up properly today. It gets as far as "Loading Profiles" and then hangs there, with some moving dots near the top of the screen, but it doesn't get any further (it normally stays only a couple of seconds at that screen).

The troubleshooting section of the manual isn't much use. I've tried resetting it by holding down the power button, but it still does the same thing on startup.

If I connect it to my PC, then Garmin Connect doesn't see it and my PC asks me if I want to format the device (so I can't use File Explorer on it). I checked this thread and the connect-to-usb-while-holding-lap-button thing doesn't work, my PC still won't see it other than ask if I want to format it.

Sounds like it's totally corrupted. Any ideas on how I can move it forward? Thanks.
  • Ok, I tried the thing to do a factory reset mentioned in that thread, but it didn't work for me. This is what I'm doing, what am I doing wrong? :

1. Power device off
    2. Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
    3. Power device on while still holding both buttons
    4. Continue holding buttons when the Garmin “splash” screen appears
    5. Release buttons when Garmin “splash” screen disappears

The problem is that the Garmin logo never disappears as long as I'm still holding the lap and start/stop buttons (I held them for a couple of minutes). As soon as I released them, the device went off and then quickly back on again, but again hung at the "Loading Profiles" bit.
  • I spoke to Garmin support on the phone, and they were very helpful.

It's all sorted now. I re-formatted the drive via Windows Explorer (FAT32 file system, volume name Garmin, un-tick 'Quick Format'). It took a good few minutes, but after that the device booted up ok, albeit needing setting up again from scratch.
  • You formatted the Garmin? How did it boot then? Am I missing something?
  • Yes, I formatted it, and then after that it booted and worked fine. So somehow the format must involve the Garmin reloading its files from firmware or something, because all the normal files and folders were back there after the "format".
  • @deepak

Certain files are held in memory inaccessible to the user and unaffected by a format. They're restored after a format on boot up.
  • Ok, same issue. But how did you get pc the recognize device again?
  • If you wipe the 520, and if you want to use the Base map, that has to be restored separately. However, it is better to just make your own map of your area with Openstreet maps, see DC Rainmaker'guide . Also, whenever I have wiped any Edge I have need to update the Time Zone file, otherwise the time is might not be correct. That can be done by manually copying the file or using Garmin Express to update it.
    • This helped a lot. My 510 just did the same thing. I was able to format and then re-enter everything.
  • I had the same issue as everyone here. Mt garmin died mid ride and when i went to charge it the issue arised.

The way I got around it was ....

Plugged garmin into computer as it boots up and hangs on mass storage. Turn it off then quickly hold the lap button as it boots.

You will here a familiar sound that your garmin has been recignised by your computer and the charging icon will show on the garmin.

Now you can access your garmin from computer. I think my issue was the last file was corrupted issue known as time stamp.

Copy this file onto desktop and try and upload to strava from there. Then delete all acitivities from your device and copy all Setting, Records and Sports from garmin device onto your desktop just incase you need to reset your device. 

Now unplug your Garmin and see if it boots up.... mine did without any resetting.

Hope that helps someone in the future.

• This worked for me.  None of the other reset actions had any effect.  This does require re-entering all your settings as though it was a new device.  Small price to pay to avoid buying another unit.